What is the normal cycle of hair growth and loss?
Hair grows in three phases involving growth, degradation and resting stages which is normal for hair growth. Each strand grows up to 1 centimetre per month during the growth phase. The hair growth normally lasts for 2-6 years. During the 5th year, the hair strands fall and are replaced within 6 months. It is usual to shed about 100 hair strands each day as part of this cycle.
What are the causes of hair loss?
Balding and thinning of hair is a natural process. Many believe that ageing is the only cause of hair loss, but, here are the other causes:
- Emotional and mental stress.
- Prolonged illness.
- Effects of major surgery.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Fungal infections on the scalp.
- Chemically treated hair – hair colouring, perming, straightening and smoothening.
- Nutritional and dietary deficiency.
- Excessive Vitamin A.
- Effects of post chemotherapy and medications.
What are the common hair loss patterns?
Patchy hair loss: This form of hair loss can affect men, women and children. This is generally observed in well-defined areas.
Diffuse hair loss: This type of hair loss is spread over the scalp and can be seen through.
Male pattern baldness: It is caused due to genetics and testosterone levels. A receding hairline thinning around the crown with eventual bald spots is observed in this hair loss pattern.
Female pattern baldness: It is caused due to genetics, age and testosterone levels. Hair thins mainly on the top and crown of the scalp. It usually starts with a widening through the center hair part.
When do you require medical assistance?
Medical assistance will be required, if you observe the following symptoms:
- Unusual pattern of hair loss.
- Pain or itchiness accompanied with hair loss.
- Hair loss at an early age.
- Hair loss quickly.
- Facial hair, acne, or an abnormal menstrual cycleBald spots on your beard or eyebrows.
- Women with male pattern baldness.
- Symptoms of fatigue, intolerance to cold temperatures, muscle weakness and gaining weight.
- Red, scaly or abnormal scalp.
How is hair loss medically treated?
DNA Skin Clinic helps you to identify the best procedure to treat hair loss. Here are some of the treatments, we offer :
- Low-level laser therapy.
- Derma roller.
- Hair Weaving.
- Hair transplants.
- Nutritional supplements.
What are the home remedies to get good and strong hair?
For a healthy lustrous hair, maintain a balanced diet. Include foods rich in fatty acids, silica, vitamin B, iron and protein in your daily intake to prevent thinning of hair, hair loss, oily greasy hair and premature greying. Consume 8 glasses of water daily to keep your hair hydrated and moisturized.
Are you facing hair fall issues?
Book an appointment with the expert and get the right solutions and guidance.