Many of us are very quick to comment that all carbohydrates as “bad carbohydrates”. We tend to associate carbohydrates as the main reason for gaining weight, which is not fully correct. The dietary guidelines recommend that carbohydrates provide 45 to 65 percent of our daily calorie intake.
Good carbohydrates serve as our primary source of energy, releasing the energy slowly in bloodstream to provide fuel to mind& body.Good carbohydrates help in weight management, keep us away from diseases & helps brain to function well.
Bad carbohydrates generally serve as fewer refined and processed carbohydrates that strip away from beneficial fibre and lacking in essential nutrients. Bad carbohydrates consumption is associated with health problems like weight gain and type 2 diabetes.
Carbohydrates are divided into 2 forms: simple & complex.
- Easy to digest
- Enter faster into blood stream and give immediate sugar rush.
- If consumed in excess,that time converted to fat & are stored in the body & leads to weight gain (obesity).
- Also lead to high blood sugars, high uric acid, heart diseases.
- Examples of simple carbohydrates: White bread, Potatoes, Cookies, Biscuits, White-flour pasta, White rice, Soda, Candy, Pastries, Energy drinks, Ice creams etc.
- Considered good source, because it takes more time to breakdown, thus sugar slowly enters into blood stream.
- A lower glycemic index, which means lower amounts of sugars we consumed which will be released at a more consistent rate which will keep us going through out the day.
- Examples of complex carbohydrates: Apples, Muesli, Oatmeal,Brown rice, Spinach, Lentils, Legumes, Barly, Corn etc.
It is necessary for us to know that there are healthy options of carbohydrate. Replace bad carbohydrate with good carbohydrate to lose weight & gain health.