Frozen shoulder or adhesive capsulitis, a condition due to which it is difficult to comb your hair, difficult to put your dress on and pain if lying to the affected side.
Usually it affects people between 40 - 60 years of age, ladies are more affected and it start with pain while doing activity or lifting heavy objects or a heaviness to shoulder. This is commonly seen in patients with diabetes, after heart surgery or a history of previous shoulder injury.
It is always better to take pain medication or muscle relaxants to reduce to severe pain. you can apply heat fermentation at night to reduce discomforts. Positioning of the hand is very important to reduce worsening of condition.
Unique Physiotherapy Exercise for Frozen Shoulder
Please do this exercises twice daily, make sure to do a heat fermentation before and after the exercises.
Manual Therapy for Frozen Shoulder
- Myofascial release to the rotator cuff muscles and trigger point release to subacapularis, infraspinatus and teres minor muscles helps to reduce pain and improve functions of shoulder.
- Shoulder joint mobilization with mulligan belt, maitland internal rotation mobilization helps to improve range of motion.
To Reduce Pain due to Frozen Shoulder
- Ultrasound therapy to the shoulder capsule helps in reducing adhesive tissues.
- TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) & IFT helps in reducing and and improving muscle strength
- Positioning of hands to reduce worsening of the conditions
Range of Motion Exercises for Frozen Shoulder
- Wand exercises, active assisted exercises, pully exercises are useful in improving ROM.
- Myofascial stretches of rotator cuff muscles and other muscles of shoulder girdle helps in improving the ROM
Strengthening Exercises for Frozen Shoulder
- Exercise using exercise band, weight cuffs etc. helps in improving shoulder girdle strength.
- Home exercise program are also important to reduce pain and improve function
- It takes 3 weeks of physiotherapy sessions for proper improvement of frozen shoulder conditions.