Are you the one who always get cold and allergy attack accompanied with a runny nose, sneezing, red, stuffy nose, facial pressure, facial pain and discomfort?
Then, you could be at risk of having sinusitis/sinus problem.
Inflammation of the air cavities within the passages of the nose (paranasal sinuses) is referred to as sinusitis. Sinusitis can be caused by infection (sinus infection), but also can be caused by allergy and chemical irritation of the sinuses.
Symptoms: It varies from person to person. You may have sinusitis if you have a runny nose or cold symptoms that last longer than 12 weeks, difficulty breathing through the nose, loss of smell, dripping in the throat from the nose, headaches, facial discomfort, bad breath, cough, fever, or a sore throat.
Prevention for sinus:
- Drink plenty of water.
- Steam inhalations should be taken if possible to relieve nasal congestion.
- Drink something warm like herbal tea etc.
- Sleep well.
- Eat almonds, flax seeds, leafy vegetables to improve the immunity.
- Undertake moderate exercise to strengthen the immune system thus preventing cold &other infections.
- Handkerchief should be used when sneezing.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- If the air in your home is dry, such as it is if you have forced hot air heat, adding moisture to the air may help prevent sinusitis.
- Be sure to keep the humidifier clean and free of the mould with regular, thorough cleaning.
- Avoid chlorinated pools. They can irritate your nasal passages.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Avoid swimming at unknown places where chances of contamination are more.
- Avoid Cold food & cold drinks and foods which have preservatives & are artificially coloured and flavoured should be avoided.
- Avoid fried and processed foods.
Home remedies can help relieve some symptoms of sinusitis. Irrigation of the sinuses with a Neti-pot or squeeze bottle, or breathing in the warm humidified air can help decrease symptoms of sinusitis.
Sinusitis or sinus infections usually clear up if treated early and appropriately.