Cold followed by a cough, fever and sneezing fits is an irritating disease. Certain food products like ginger, dry ginger powder, clove, mint leaves etc., when consumed with lukewarm water and lemon give a soothing effect.
The overall diet during viral fever should be light, easy to digest and full of fluids. In other words, it has to be a diet full of fruits and vegetables, and less fatty foods. Liquids either in the form of hot soup or simply plain water help excrete impurities. Food or any liquid consumed should be preferably warm.
- Garlic – It has an antibiotic effect, rich in antioxidants and helps to kill the virus immediately.
- Ginger powder and clove – These too have a similar effect. They kill the virus and clear up the symptoms.
- Tulsi leaves -- help clear the congestion and clear your nose.
- Soups – help in increasing the flow of mucus.
- Food rich in vitamin C – All foods that are rich in vitamin C help, therapeutic doses of vitamin C help to shorten the number of days of cold / cough attack.
Diet for viral fever
Early morning: 1 cup of herbal tea.
Ingredients: Turmeric powder (Haldi) - 1 tsp/1 inch, Cumin seeds (Jeera) - ¼ tsp, Coriander seeds (Dhaniya) - ¼ tsp, Fennel seeds (Saunf) - ¼ tsp, Dry Ginger powder (Saunth) - ¼ tsp, Whole black pepper (Kali Mirch) – 2 raw, Cinnamon powder (Dalchini) – Pinch, Cardamom (whole Elaichi) – 2
Procedure: Boil 2 cups of water with all ingredients and reduce to half. Drink lukewarm one cup in the mid-morning and early morning twice a day. (All ingredients have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant property to boost immunity).
Breakfast: 1 bowl of cornflakes in warm milk.
Mid-morning: 1 glass lukewarm lemon water.
Lunch: 1 bowl chicken or non-veg soup with 1 bowl rice (or) 1 bowl dal / 1 bowl mix vegetables soup with 1 bowl rice.
Afternoon: 1 cup of herbal tea with any light snacks like biscuits or toasts.
Early Evening: 1 glass orange juice.
Dinner: 1 bowl mixed vegetables, khichdi and 1 cup "Kadhi" (made from curds and chana flour).
Bedtime: 1 glass warm milk with sugar and a pinch of nutmeg powder called "Jaiphal".
Wishing you all a speedy recovery with from cold and viral fever with this healthy diet!!