Dahi or Curd is a staple food that goes with every Indian meal. It is fermented milk through the process of pasteurization. The dahi is served in different variations like lassi, buttermilk, chaas and many more. It is also used as an ingredient in cooking delicious North Indian and South Indian delicacies.
The Dahi offers many health benefits for the human body:
1. Digestive properties: Including curd or dahi in your daily diet leads to the robust digestive system as it a Probiotic food(food that contains live bacteria). It enhances the digestive activity of the stomach, treats digestive disorders, and soothes an upset stomach.
2. It is the perfect food for lactose intolerants: Milk is perceived as the ideal food for growth and immunity for the human body, yet some people are born with the condition of being lactose intolerant(not able to digest milk). This condition prevents them from consuming milk or dairy products as their body is unable to handle the milk protein. So is not the case with curd as it is fermented.
3. Immunity booster: Curd contains live bacteria and also produces Vitamin K, and they stimulate the growth of B and T lymphocytes which are the essential base for immunity in the human body. It also protects the stomach and intestinal tract from harmful infections and aids their effective functioning.
4. Beauty treatment: Dahi has a moisturizing effect on the skin, and it also heals dry skin naturally. The dahi is known for maintaining the efficiency of the gastrointestinal tract which leads to healthy skin. One can also use dahi in face packs for the cool and repairing effect it has on the skin. Combining curd with turmeric and aloe vera can help clear the skin from blemishes and other skin problems.
5. Reduces high blood pressure: The curd is an excellent source of Vitamin D, Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc and other micronutrients. Curd stops the formation of cholesterol in the arterial region thereby preventing hypertension and high blood pressure in the body. It also helps in the prevention of cardiac diseases. These are some of the benefits of curd that help us to prevent many diseases in our fast-paced life.
Include and consume this wholesome dahi in your daily diet and enjoy a healthy life.