Colostrum is the milk secreted for a few days after child birth which is high in proteins and antibodies.
Composition of Colostrum
- Proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals, and proteins (antibodies) that fight disease-causing agents such as bacteria and viruses.
Foods that help in increasing milk production
- Bajra, oats, seeds
- Eggs, salmon, sardines, nuts
- Dark and leafy greens
- Beans and legumes, Ginger, Garlic, Green Papaya , Avocados
Things that can affect your breast milk supply
- Allergy and cold medication
- Postpartum hemorrhage
- Low thyroid
- Certain herbs and spices- Sage, peppermint, oregano, lemon balm, parsley, and thyme are said to decrease milk flow during breastfeeding when taken in large quantities.