Given that an average person sleeps for 8 hrs in a day, that means we spent on an average one third of our life sleeping. Everyone has problem with their sleep at times. This is perfectly normal. In most cases, this problem often gets resolved by itself; however, if it last for long, it is likely to impact day-to-day functioning and eventually affect the quality of your life. A large percentage of people suffering from sleep disorder often opt for temporary solution by having sleeping pills which later becomes a habit.Following are few easy tips to deal with sleep problems:
- Establish a routine: Set a strict bedtime schedule by getting up at the same time every day, this will help as your body will start to associate times of the day with sleeping.There should be minimal variations in sleep timings during weekends & holidays.
- Make your bedroom a calm place: Relax your mind & body by keeping the bedroom dark & quiet & cool.
- Turn off electrical screens: Mobiles, computers, TV stimulate the brain, making it hard to relax. 'wind down' time of 1 hr before going to bed is preferred.
- Avoid naps: Do not nap during the day or confine naps to early afternoon; no longer than 40 minutes.
- Notice what you eat or drink: Avoid tea or coffee after 4pm. No smoking or tobacco for atleast 1 hr before bedtime. Do not eat heavy meals near bedtime. A glass of warm milk or banana or warm bath at bedtime will help induce sleep.
- Avoid clock gazing: Do not repeatedly look at the clock at night, it will make you more anxious. If an alarm clock is needed, place it in the drawer where it can be heard but not seen
- .Try to do some exercise: Exercise daily. Do not exercise too close to bedtime, as it can disrupt your sleep.
- Try to resolve your worries: Write your worries on a piece of paper & allot a time during the day to think over it
- .Check for physical cause: If any pain, physical illness or mental illness or medication is making it difficult for you to sleep, see a doctor.
- Don't force yourself to sleep: This will make you more anxious. If sleep doesn't occur in bed for more than 20 min then move out of bed without switching on the light & return back only when sleepy.
Sleep plays a critical role in immune function, metabolism, memory, learning, and other vital functions.
So lets SLEEP WELL & STAY HEALTHY.......