The present generation is so much worried about hair loss as hair is the style statement for many youngsters.
In Ayurveda ,hair is the byproduct of bone tissue. In-fact hair fall is the initial symptom of osteoporotic change.
Even hair may fall due to peeling of scalp layer or due to loose hair follicles. Patchy hair loss in the scalp is known as INDRALUPTA (Alopecia) & when it is wide spread its called as KHALITYA (Baldness).
- Too much intake of SALT, SOUR & SPICY (Pungent) taste food items(this makes hair follicles loosened & hair sheds). In day-today life we are not aware of excess salt entering body in the form of pickles & through rice, roti, dosa(extra salt added while preparing).
- Excess use of CARBONATED DRINKS (cool drinks are usually acidic which makes too much phosphorous to combine with less calcium resulting in osteoporotic changes) & HARD WATER intake (Remember temporary hardness of water can be removed only by heating) Ca(HCO3)2----------->CaCO3+CO2+H2O.
- STRESS- it is not caused only because of excess work load, perhaps late night sleep, late night work & too much thinking about hair fall causes stress for body & mind.
- If the person is of PITTALA PRAKRUTI, it acts as add on causative factor for hair fall.
- Untimely food habit & too much intake of water.
- Disease causing hair fall: HYPOTHYROID, AMENORRHEA, PCOD. ( A/o Ayurveda, ladies doesn't suffer from baldness as detoxification of blood occurs every month through menstruation. But many womens are suffering from Hormonal diseases which affects menstruation & causes hair fall).
- Side effects of drugs- Drugs used to treat
- Acne: isotretinoin, vitamin A derived drug.
- Cholesterol/ weight loss: clofibrate, gemfibrozil, amphetamines.
- Hypertension: atenolol, metoprolol, nadolol, propanolol, timolol.
- Ulcers: ranitidine, cimetidine, famotidine.
- Inflammation: which is also used as chemotherapy drug- methotrexate.
- Arthritis: naproxen, indomethacin, sulindac.
- Gout: allupurinol.
- Depression: clomipramine, amitryptiline, desipramine, nortryptyline, paroxetine, fluoxetine, doxepin, trimipramine, imipramine, protryptiline, sertraline.
Birth control pills, Hormonal replacement therapy, Male androgenic hormones-testosterone, prednisone & other steroids.
What not to do?
Avoiding the cause is the first line of treatment in Ayurveda. Hence the causes listed elaborately.
- Avoid too much intake of:
- Salty, Sour & extra Spicy food items.
- Deep fried items
- Refrigerating & reheating of prepared food.
- Avoid late night sleep & work.
- Avoid HOT WATER BATH for HEAD.
- Avoid too much use of hair drier, straightener which causes dryness of scalp & too much use of chemicals in the form of gel, shampoo & conditioners.
- Avoid eating in between food timings.
What to do?
- Do early morning exercise & pranayama.
- Use warm water for drinking.
Prognosis: Hair fall is controllable, Alopecia is reversible with efforts whereas Baldness is difficult to treat. So i recommend to get treated before you become BALD.
नित्यम् स्नेहार्द्र शिरसः न खालित्यम् न पालित्यम् l
One who keeps his head moisturized everyday will not suffer from Baldness or Grey hairs.
4 ways to moisturize head are
- Shiro abhyanga
- Shiro pichu
- Shiro dhaara
- Shiro basti
For simple hair fall Shiroabhyanga( Head massage) with specific medicated oil prescribed based on prakruti & dosha by authentic Ayurveda Doctor is must.
Other 3 treatments along with Shirovirechana/ Nasya & Prachanna are administered based on intensity of causative factor, dosha & condition of the patient.
If hair fall is caused due to disease, then the disease should be treated first.