Excessive discharge of a thick, whitish or yellowish, sticky, foul-smelling material from the vagina is called Leucorrhoea. This common problem may occur due to unhygienic conditions, infection of the genital tract, or impaired immune function.
Unfortunately, most women are highly embarrassed by this problem. Well, women's are not only embarrassed in front of others because of this, but most of them also avoid discussing the problem with their medical health care providers, which is why the treatment for vaginal discharge caused by leucorrhoea could be a bit of a challenge.
- Excessive intake of oily, spicy and unhealthy junk food.
- Hormonal imbalance caused due to severe mental stress and trauma too can cause leucorrhoea in young girls.
- Overindulgence in sexual activity.
- Following improper diet and lifestyle during menstrual cycles.
- Improper vaginal hygiene can cause leucorrhoea.
- Alcohol & smoking etc.
Symptoms of leucorrhoea:
- Thick whitish/ yellowish discharge.
- Lower abdominal pain.
- Painful sexual act.
- A backache and pain in the leg. Intense itching of the vagina.
- Burning urination and frequent urge to pass very little urine.
- Irritability and lack of concentration in work.
- Digestive disturbances like constipation.
- Tiredness due to loss of vital fluids as discharges.
- Strong smell or frothy discharge and rashes or sore spots on the genitals, etc.
Diet and Lifestyle Advice:
- Drink plenty of water. Stay well hydrated.
- Eat more of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Include bananas, cranberry juice, oranges, lemons, black plums, okra, leafy greens, onions, yoghurt in your diet.
- Include healthy herbs and spices such as ginger, garlic, fenugreek and coriander in your diet.
- Eat complex carbs (like whole grains, brown rice, oats, etc), lean protein (fish, yoghurts, nuts, sprouts, etc) and low-fat dairy products.
- Maintain proper hygiene. Wash undergarments with an antibiotic solution, and let them dry under the sun.
- Wear loose, cotton clothes and garments.
- Exercise daily. Start with morning walks daily morning.
- Avoid stress. Stress and strain since it may affect the hormonal level and may increase secretions. Try yoga.
- Avoid simple carbs like white rice, white bread, maida, refined products, etc.
- Avoid foods that will aggravate this problem or increase your chances of getting leucorrhoea so avoid all heavy, oily, fried, sugary, spicy, and sour foods.
- Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol, aerated drinks.
- Avoid non-vegetarian food.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes.
- Avoid wearing synthetic or nylon underwear.
Home remedies for leucorrhoea:
- Drink the water residue which is used for the preparation of white rice which is the best remedy to treat white discharge because of heat.
- Boil a litre of water and add 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds to it. Continue to boil till the water reduces to half. Cool and drink a bowl of this water every morning. It has great properties, which can help to treat leucorrhea naturally.
- Take a glass of water and add a tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice to it. Wash your vaginal area with this water.
- Wash Vagina with Neem water.