The thyroid is Butterfly-shaped gland in the neck. Hyperthyroidism causes the thyroid gland to produce an excess hormone, which drastically increases metabolism, affects the heart health, bone health and mood swings. Symptoms of this condition can be insomnia, an unexpected rise in heartbeat, tremors, anxiety, increased hunger and unintentional weight loss or gain. Iodine deficiency is considered to be the most common factor of hypothyroidism worldwide. Women are most likely to get this disorder due to a heavy production of estrogen hormone.In addition to medical treatment, a healthy diet at home can help in minimizing the condition. Losing weight becomes much more difficult if diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It causes a sudden slowdown in metabolism, ultimately leading to low energy levels all the time. These conditions interfere with one’s efforts to lose weight. It is important to keep watch on what one eats as it may trigger thyroid hormone in the body.
- Consulting an Expert/ Doctor – Thyroid patients need to work harder and keep attention on their food intake. The results are often not as quick as expected. So one needs to be fully aware of how he or she is supposed to obtain positive results in losing weight.
- Drink enough water – Drinking enough water is beneficial for everyone’s health. Regular diets demand to drink at least 8 glasses of water (2.5 – 3 litres approx) a day but a thyroid diet plan requires the patient to drink an additional glass of water for every pound of weight he/she wishes to lose (approx 4 litres). Water speeds up your metabolism and helps in reducing appetite, eliminate water retention and bloating and facilitate proper digestion which is necessary to lose those extra kilos.
- Increase the fiber intake – A thyroid patient needs to consume ample amount of fiber to lose weight. Foods that are good sources of fiber include fruits, nuts, vegetables and whole grains. One can increase the intake of fiber both in the form of foods and supplements if he or she is unable to eat natural ones.
- Have a cup of Green Tea – Hypothyroid patients often feel lazy and too tired to work out as they are obese. But to lose weight successfully, they require additional energy to exercise. Having a cup of green tea can make them feel more energized and motivated to exercise as green tea is full of anti-oxidants.
- Maintain balanced diet – Olive Oil can help in reducing weight than any other normal cooking oil. Choosing honey over sugar, eating dry fruits like almonds, apricots, walnuts which are highly nutritional Consuming chia seeds either in salads or directly in water may help a person as it helps in increasing immunity.
Hence, one can succeed in losing weight even if he or she has thyroid disorder through dedication and discipline. Also, meditation can be beneficial at times.