A Dental Veneer is a thin layer of porcelain made to fit over the front surface of a tooth for cosmetic reasons. In layman terms, it’s like an artificial covering over a tooth surface. There are 2 types of Veneer:
Depending on the function and cost factor, your cosmetic dentist will choose which type of veneer is best for you.
Indications of Veneers:
- Discoloured teeth
- Chipped-off/broken teeth
- Fill gaps between teeth
- Improve alignment of teeth
- General improvement of one’s smile
Contraindications of Veneers:
- Severe gum disease
- Weak enamel
- Poor oral hygiene
- Grinding of teeth or Bruxism
- Complex teeth alignment issues
Advantages of Veneers:
- Confident smile: Having a perfect smile line is a possibility with Veneers which in turn acts as a confidence booster.
- Conservative approach: When compared to Dental Crowns, Veneers need a very little amount of tooth shaping.
- Customizable: Shape, size and shade of Veneers are highly customizable. You get what you ask for!
- Low maintenance: Porcelain Veneers are stain free and need low maintenance with daily brushing and flossing.
- High durability: Porcelain Veneers last for 10-15 years.
- Quick results: 2-3 visits are all it takes for the smile that you have always dreamed of.
- No age limit: It can be placed on individuals belonging to any age group.
Disadvantages of Veneers:
- Permanent loss of tooth structure: A thin layer of enamel is permanently taken off from the front side of the teeth. If not done correctly, it can lead to sensitive teeth.
- Tooth decay: Secondary decay/caries can occur underneath the Veneers if proper oral hygiene is not maintained.
- Staining and fracture: This is more common with composite Veneers.
- Strength: Veneers are not as strong as dental Crowns or your natural teeth.
- Dislodgement of Veneers: Though not common, patients are requested to avoid nail biting, chewing on ice; pencil; any hard objects, or otherwise put pressure on teeth with Veneers.
- Expensive: Porcelain Veneers are much more costly than Composite Veneers.