Long working hours, sedentary lifestyle, stress are all contributing to a growing percentage of obese men and women in the Indian workforce today. In today’s rushing life, people tend to grab whatever food that is readily available and indulge in very minimum physical activity.
As a consequence, there are many health risks involved with being overweight or obese. The physical health problems can range from simple issues like fatigue, acidity to life-threatening illnesses that include: Type 2 diabetes, Sleep apnoea, Hypertension, Stroke, Coronary artery diseases.
Bringing about a change in your dietary/ eating habits is the first step towards tackling obesity. Here are a few tips to eat smart and beat Obesity:
● Honey “n” Lemon -Start your day with a glass of warm water and add some honey and lemon juice to it. This helps to detox your body and feel fresh.
● Never miss your Breakfast– Breakfast helps the body to be loaded with required calories at the beginning of the day and thereby reduces unwanted calorie intake going further.
● Include more fiber-rich food in your diet– Fiber curbs your cravings and keeps you satisfied. But ensure that you balance it with fruits and vegetables so that it is easily digested.
● Include more portions of fruits and vegetables – Snacking on wholesome fruits and vegetables instead of junk food that will add empty calories to your diet, will make you more energized.
● Snack on a handful of nuts every day– Nuts are a powerhouse of nutrients and act as a good source of omega-3 fatty acids which plays an important role in maintaining the cardiovascular health.
● Say a big “NO” to sugar– Sugar is the best friend for weight gain. Replace sugar with natural sweeteners like honey or jaggery if you feel more tempted.
● Measure your food– This will track where your temptations are high and help to curb it.
● Jot down – Maintain a food journal to note whatever goes inside your mouth in order to have control.
● Move it – Be it yoga, walking, swimming, cycling, or a cardio workout, choose the one that suits your body, but keep it moving.
In a nutshell, eat smart and move more to be fit as a fiddle and stay out of the obese band.