Hair loss refers to the loss of hair from part of the head or body. The severity of hair loss can vary from person to person and may also depend on the cause of hair loss.
Causes of hair loss differ in men and women.
The 8 most common causes of hair loss are:
1. Genetics: Hereditary is the most common cause of hair loss and it involves both male and female pattern baldness. Male-Pattern Hair Loss (MPHL) is a common problem for men across the world, with nearly half the male population struggling with the issue by the time they hit middle age.
A considerable percentage suffers from MPHL from their 20s. If you observe that you have started losing your hair from the front and notice a U-shaped pattern of hair loss, this is a sign of MPHL.
2. Stress: In today’s world, stress is a given. Whoever you might be, living a stress-free life has become next to impossible. Unfortunately, the more stress you take, the more it affects your overall health.
Stress is one of the key causes of hair loss. So, if you are noticing a sudden increase in hair in your bathroom drain, take a look back and see if you are under any extra stress because that could be the main reason.
3. Medicines: The older you get, the more medicines you inevitably end up taking. Unfortunately, most medicines come with some side effects. One of those side effects could be hair loss.
So, if you notice a sudden surge in hair loss after starting medication for a medical condition, consult your doctor to see what the cause is and what can be done to prevent it.
4. Infections and Medical Conditions: Infections, particularly those that are fungal in nature, are known to be a cause of hair loss. If you have recently been sick or have undergone any surgery, hair loss can be one of the by-products.
Hair loss can also be caused by other serious health conditions, and it is always advisable to consult your doctor if you experience sudden hair loss.
5. Overuse Of Chemical-based Hair Products: Not all products that are sold in the supermarket in the hair care aisle are good for your hair. Most products, in fact, contain chemicals that, at the end of the day, damage your hair more than help them.
So, finding the right products for your hair, or at least, not overusing the chemical-based ones is quite vital.
6. Steroids: If you are one of those people who like to take anabolic steroids in order to bulk up or even if steroids are prescribed for your underlying disease/condition, it can lead to hair loss.
7. Sleep: There is nothing more important to a human being than rest. A good night’s sleep is essential for anyone to function, and if you are not getting an adequate amount of sleep under the optimum conditions, then hair loss could be a result.
Getting good sleep helps the hair follicles to form and strengthen and keeps out stress as well, leading to healthy and happy hair. So all you millennials and younger ones, make sure you get your sleep!
8. Food Intake: Diet is an essential component for healthy hair. The right amount of protein is important for strong hair, while an over-reliance on unhealthy, on-the-go food can lead to hair loss.
Hair loss is preventable! Consult your doctor to know more.
Disclaimer: This article is written by the Practitioner for informational and educational purposes only. The content presented on this page should not be considered as a substitute for medical expertise. Please "DO NOT SELF-MEDICATE" and seek professional help regarding any health conditions or concerns. Practo will not be responsible for any act or omission arising from the interpretation of the content present on this page.