A sore throat refers to pain, itchiness, or irritation in the throat. It is generally difficult to swallow foods and liquids when one has a sore throat. It can be caused, either by a viral or bacterial infection.
7 easy ways to get rid of a sore throat
1) Gargle with salt water: Gargling with warm salt water can help soothe a scratchy throat. Salt pulls the mucus out of your swollen, inflamed tissues and helps relieve the discomfort.
2) Suck on a lozenge: Lozenges contain menthol, an ingredient that can gently numb the tissue in your throat. This can provide you with temporary relief from burning and pain sensations.
3) Enjoy a drop of honey: Warm tea that is sweetened with honey can help soothe your irritated throat. Tea also keeps you hydrated, which is another important step in treating a sore throat.
4) Stay hydrated: Staying hydrated is an important part of treating a sore throat. When you’re dehydrated, your body can’t produce enough saliva and mucus to keep your throat naturally lubricated. This in turn can make the swelling and inflammation worse.
5) Use a humidifier: Breathing in moist air can help soothe swollen tissues in your nose and the throat. Turn on a cool-mist humidifier to increase the amount of moisture in your room.
6) Take a steam shower: Breathe in steam from a warm shower to help reduce swelling and ease the pain of a sore throat.
7) Raise your head: When you have congestion, take an extra pillow or two under your head. The extra height will help you breathe easier.