- The human brain weighs on average three pounds or 1.5 kg.
- Dimensions of the human brain are mind scratching.
- Average brain width = 140 mm Average brain length = 167 mm Average brain height = 93 mm
- The cerebrum is the largest part of the brain and makes up 85% of the brain’s weight.
- Human skin weighs twice as much as the brain.
- The brain is made up of about 75% water.
The human brain is composed of about 100 billion neurons plus a trillion glial cells.
- The human brain is the fattest organ in the body and may consist of at least 60% fat.
- Neurons develop at the rate of 250,000 neurons per minute during early pregnancy.
- Human brain has more brain cells as a newborn baby than it will ever have again. At birth, the brain has almost the same size as an adult brain.
- A newborn baby’s brain grows about three times its size in the first year.
- Studies say human brain keeps developing until your 40s.
- Humans continue to make new neurons throughout life in response to mental activity.
- It’s a myth; there is NO Left/ Right Brain Divide. They work together.
- Human brain uses 20% of the oxygen as well as 20 % of total body blood Volume.
- One becomes unconscious when brain loses blood for 8 to 10 seconds.
- Lack of oxygen in the brain for 5 to 10 minutes results in permanent brain damage.
- Male brains on average have a total volume that is between 8 % and13% larger than that of females.
It’s a myth that humans only use 10% of the brain, we use all of our brains.
- There are no pain receptors in the brain, so the brain can feel no pain.
- A baby's brain can use up to 50% of the total glucose supply.
- At rest, brain uses one-fifth of a calorie per minute.
- There are virtually no differences in brain anatomy between people with autism and those without.
Human Brain has about 70,000 thoughts a day.
- Half of human brains can be removed by surgery with no apparent effect on personality or memory.
- Human brains are 10% smaller than they were 20,000 years ago.
- Information can be processed as slowly as 0.5 meters/sec or as fast as 120 meters/sec (about 268 miles/hr).
- While awake, the brain generates between 10 and 23 watts of power–or enough energy to power a light bulb.
Excessive stress has shown to "alter brain cells, brain structure, and brain function."
- Scientists have discovered that men and women’s brains react differently to pain, which explains why they may perceive or discuss pain differently.
- Every time one recalls a memory or have a new thought, one is creating a new connection in your brain.
- While one sleep at night, it's the best time for the brain to consolidate all memories from the day.
Lack of sleep may actually hurt the ability to create new memories.
- Studies show that brain waves are more active while dreaming than when one is awake.
- Human brain generates nearly 25 watts of power while you're awake,which is enough to light up a light bulb.
- There’s a virus that attacks human DNA making people less intelligent, impairing brain activity, learning & memory.
- Humans have taste receptors in the stomach, intestines, pancreas,lungs , anus, testicles and the brain.
- The smell of chocolate increases theta brain waves, which triggers relaxation.
- Juggling has shown to change the brain in as little as seven days. The study indicates that learning new things helps the brain to change very quickly.
- Alcohol doesn't make forget anything. It only takes 6 minutes for brain cells to react to alcohol. When one get blackout drunk, the brain temporarily loses the ability to create memories.
It is thought that Long Term mobile phone use significantly increases the risk of brain tumors however it has not been proved in any scientific study.
- According to scientists the brain treats rejection like physical pain.
- Laughing at a joke is no simple task as it requires activity in five different areas of the brain.
- When one learn something new, the structure of brain changes.
In 2015, the 4th most powerful supercomputer in the world took 40 minutes to simulate just one second of human brain activity.
- Research on naps, meditation & nature walks reveals that mental breaks increase productivity, replenish attention, solidify memories & encourage creativity.
- Humans have as many brain cells in their stomachs as cats have in their brains.
- A study Found brain age decreases by 0.95 years for each year of education, and by 0.58 years for every daily flight of stairs climbed.
- The human brain has enough memory to hold three million hours of television.
- Humans spend 13% of their lives not focusing on anything in particular.
Music lessons have shown to considerably boost brain organization and ability in both children and adults.
- Those who are left-handed or ambidextrous have a corpus callosum (the part of the brain that bridges the two halves) that is about 11%larger than those who are right-handed.
Albert Einstein’s brain was similar in size to other humans except in the region that is responsible for math and spatial perception. In that region, his brain was 35% wider than average.
- While an elephant’s brain is physically larger than a human brain, the human brain is 2% of total body weight (compared to 0.15% of an elephant's brain) meaning humans have the largest brain to body size.
- Reading aloud and talking often to a young child promotes brain development.
- The capacity for such emotions as joy, happiness, fear, and shyness are already developed at birth. The specific type of nurturing a child receives shapes how these emotions are developed.
- The first sense to develop while in utero (in the womb) is the sense of touch. The lips and cheeks can experience touch at about 8 weeks and the rest of the body, at around 12 weeks.
Children who learn two languages before the age of five alters the brain structure and adults have a much denser gray matter.
- Studies have shown that child abuse can inhibit the development of the brain and can permanently affect brain development.
- The brain has a processing capacity of 0.1 quadrillion instructions per second. The fastest supercomputer in the world, called Road runner is capable of handling 1.026 quadrillion calculations per second.
Alcohol interferes with brain processes by weakening connections between neurons.
- Every time you have a new thought, or recall a memory, a new brain connection is made between two or more brain cells.
- A living brain is so soft you could cut it with a table knife.
- The left side of your brain (left hemisphere) controls the right side of your body; and, the right side of your brain (right hemisphere)controls the left side of your body.
Differences in brain weight and size do not equal differences in mental ability.