Worried about your hair loss? Before you leap into a course of treatment, look at what might be causing your hair to fall. Hair loss usually develops gradually, it may be patchy, or all over (diffuse).
You lose roughly 100 hair from your head everyday. Scalp contain about 100000 hairs. Treatment for hair loss depends on the cause. In some cases, treating the underlying cause will correct the problem other treatments include medicines and hair restoration.
Following are the causes of hair loss:
1. Hormonal changes: Women may lose hair following childbirth or while in menopause. Women who have hormonal imbalance such as Thyroid & PCOD can have hair loss. Use of birth control pills.
2. Thyroid disorders: One of the most common cause of hair loss is thyroid problem. Both too much thyroid hormone (Hyperthyroidism) and too little (Hypothyroidism) can lead to hair loss. Treating the thyroid disorder can often reverse the hair loss.
3. Stress : Physical and psychological stress can cause hair loss.
4. Medication: Certain use of medications having long list of side-effect, including hair loss.
5. Chemotherapy is the most well known cause but others include: some oral contraceptives, Antidepressants and Anticoagulant
6. Nutritional deficiencies: Zinc and iron deficiency are most common cause for hair loss. Fat, Vit D, Vit B12, Vit C, Vit A, Copper, selenium, biotin deficiency may lead to hair loss.