Gastric acid is formed in the stomach by hydrochloric acid (HCI), Potassium Chloride (KCI) and Sodium Chloride (NAC) which causes acidity.
Here are some tips to reduce Acidity:
- Choose an alkaline diet – If you remember from your chemistry class in school, the pH Scale provides a measure of 0 most acidic and +14 most alkaline.Our body’s optimum is pH 7. 36 which is tilted towards being alkaline, an alkaline diet is one which helps you maintain a perfect Ph balance and does not create unnecessary acids. It is a fact that we usually like a lot of acidic food but this only harms our optimum body function.
- Eat Greens- Eat a lot of green vegetables, fruits, roots, nuts. These are alkaline and keep you away from acidic gases. Make vegetables the focus of your meals, not meats.
- Reduce the intake of Acidic food- Reduce your intake of acidic food like eggs, refined sugar, meat, white flour, and dairy.Limit Alcohol Consumption- Alcohol has high sugar content and is highly acidic. In large quantities, it can be fatal. It is perfectly ‘ok’ if you like a glass of beer or wine every now and then. Just be conscious of how much you drink.
- Drink Alkaline Water– Drink a lot of alkaline water at least 8 to 10 glasses a day. Average tap water has an alkaline content of about 6.5 to 7 Ph but alkaline water has about 9 Ph. This will keep your body most hydrated and make sure you do not generate unnecessary gas or acid.
- Exercise– Break into a sweat regularly. This will also help losing weight while keeping acidity in check.Seek Balance – Stress is a major cause of acid as well, so look at mind-altering exercises like Meditation, Yoga, deep breathing and long walks.