Each strand of hair consists of a root, shaft and the tip of the hair follicle. Our hair comprises of complex parts and its growth and regeneration are part of a constant cycle of new hair growth and shedding of old strands. Majority of the hair are in the anagen (growing) phase whereas 1 to 2% are in the catagen(shedding) phase. The remaining hair are in telogen or resting phase.
Hair is an integral part of a beauty of a person. Our hair are often not given much attention until it is lost.
The common tips that any parlour wali will give you is regular oiling of hair and use of a good conditioner, but so here are few tips for hair care that neither your friends or your parlour wali will tell you:
- Hair needs nutrition mostly in the form of proteins and vitamins. Hair is easily affected by the lack of keratin protein. One must have adequate intake of pulses, carrots, spinach leaves, soya, paneer, gram, papaya,mango, coriander leaves etc. These foods taken even in moderate quantity will improve the quality of the hair. Keratin contributes to the strength and endurance of the hair shaft.
- “Amla”/”Indian gooseberry” is one of the richest sources of vitamin C and can be consumed daily for natural dark hair colour and thicker hair growth.
- Oiling provides nutrition to the roots. Hibiscus flowers also called as“jaswand” in India is one of the most nutritive flowers for the hair. Soak 4 to 5 hibiscus flowers in a cup of hair oil for 10 days in the sun and then crush the hibiscus flowers till they are uniformly mixed with the oil. Use this as your hair oil and watch hairfall and dandruff curtail dramatically.
- Fenugreek seeds are not thought of in context with hair nutrition but are a great additive to your hair care regime. Soak fenugreek seeds in a small cup of water and grind it into a smooth paste. Apply this paste all over your hair once a week to improve shine and conditioning of the hair. This will remove traces of dandruff and bring back the bounce of your hair.
- Use a hair mask once a week to restore the lustre of your hair. Mix equal quantities of gooseberry powder with sandalwood powder in rose water and apply over the entire length of the hair along with scalp. This will bring about effective regeneration and increase in volume of hair.