"Eat your carrots, Get rid of your glasses!" Sounds attractive? Too good to be true? Well, it is. Healthy food is a good investment to maintain the normal functioning of the eyes and an insurance to prevent a number of degenerative diseases. But if you thought it will cure you of your spectacle power or negate the effects of prolonged eye abuse (read, hours of Whatsapping or Youtube bingeing), then think again. Food is not a magic remedy, but an essential foundation one should build for a healthy body to function efficiently.
Here are 5 major healthy foods which are known to nourish your eyes and keep diseases at bay.
- Orange veggies: The rich orange colour in carrots, tomatoes and sweet potatoes is from Beta carotene, which the body converts to Vitamin A. It is a basic building block for the visual apparatus. It's what gives Superman his excellent night vision!
- Leafy Greens: Lutein and Zeaxanthin available in Popeye's favourite power snack are powerful antioxidants that fight against the development of cataract and macular degeneration.
- Eggs yolks are a great source of Lutein, Zeaxanthin and Zinc. A powerful tasty way to fight degenerative eye diseases. How we wish Chotta Bheem ate his eggs instead of laddoos.
- Almonds: Snack on a handful every day. Get your daily dose of Vitamin E, the natural anti- ageing agent. Vitamin E is an antioxidant which fights free radicals, a know byproduct of environmental pollution.
- Fish: Fatty fish are the quintessential source of Omega 3 fatty acids and DHA. These maintain the integrity of the surface of the eye. They prevent dry eyes and tear disturbances. The next time you are complimented for your piscine eyes - Go fish.
- Citrus: Berries, guavas, oranges, amlas give your daily dose of Vitamin C which hastens tissue repair, builds up your eyes' immunity against environmental agents of disease.
Now take your other senses for a treat too.
Take a break from that screen you are watching. Drink in the beauty of the sunrise, smell the fragrance of the blooming flowers in your garden, listen to the sounds of the chirping birds and feel the warmth of the sun on your face. Good Morning!
Note: A regular visit to your eye doctor is essential part of keeping your eyes healthy