Refractive error is the most common cause of visual impairment in children. Visual impairment can have a significant impact on a child’s life in terms of education and development. It is important that effective strategies be developed to eliminate this easily treated cause of visual impairment.
Children with such errors
- Find difficulty in reading, writing and have difficulty to see distance
- Eye strain while reading for long or shrink eyes to see at a distance
- May have squint (crossed eyes)
- May hold book close while reading
In addition to the above condition,
- Child may rub the eyes or blink frequently
- Headache in forehead region
- Recurrent swelling in the eyelids
Correction using the spectacles is the best option available .Though children may initially refuse to accept glasses, They will become fond of them once they realize they can see better with them on. The power of glasses may change depending on the growth of eyeballs. An eye checkup and change of glasses if necessary, has to be done once six months for children less than 5 years of age and once a year thereafter.
Making a child wear glasses regularly is the duty and responsibility of the parents. Failure to wear glasses in childhood will retard the development of vision in that eye. Children older than 15 years can use contact lenses, if they don’t want spectacles. Those over 18 years of age with stable power have option of going in for lasik.
“HELP YOUR CHILD SEE THE WORLD BETTER.WEARING GLASSES IS NOT A STIGMA”