Robert Frost says, "Before I built a wall, I'd ask to know what I was walling in or walling out."
Nothing in the human body happens without a purpose so, before I suppress my cough I'd like to know the purpose of this symptom.
As with most symptoms in the human body, a cough as a symptom is protective (from sudden threat) as well as indicative (of an illness in the body.)
A sudden cough is a life-saving act because it forcefully throws out something that is likely to obstruct the respiratory tract - especially a foreign body being inhaled by young children. It is also an indication of inflammation along the respiratory tract - the inflammation builds up mucus which is forcefully removed by the cough response.
So, before we even begin to think of natural ways to get rid of a cough, remember that a cough could be indicative of a serious underlying disease and that must never be ignored. Proper medical consultation must be sought.
For a simple cough which is largely related to mild environmental allergies or lifestyle related problems, here are the remedies
- Avoid going out in very polluted areas like traffic intersections, marketplaces - if in a four wheeler, keep your windows closed.
- Do a good steam inhalation/sauna at night - this helps in clearing up all polluted debris from your breathing passage and makes you sleep well at night.
- A sip of warm water with honey is a good antidote. Remember not to take too much honey, especially if you are diabetic.
- Make sure your last meal of the day is light and not very late. Untreated acidity and reflux are very common causes of an untreated cough.
- Avoid very chilly/spicy food as well as ice, aerated waters etc. because they can irritate your throat and cause a cough.
Wish you a safe living.
If you are looking for an ENT Specialist then please click on the link and get E-consultation in less than an hour. Please book prior APPOINTMENT for a medical checkup from ( 10 Am to 5 Pm; Mon-Sat)Call At +919871150032