“Ups and downs in life are very important to keep us going because a straight line even in an E.C.G means we are not alive” - Ratan Tata
Ups and downs are an embedded part of our lives, while on the way up we all feel a sense of high self-confidence and morale but as soon as our life starts going downhill our inner self-critic damages the self-esteem. Soon we start focusing on all the negative aspects of our life.
Is there a way to boost our self-esteem in a short span of time? Yes, there is and all that it requires is a little effort on our part.
1. Learning from mistakes and failures - Mistakes and failures in life make us learn things about people, life and most importantly our inner self. Failures build our character in a hard way and give us the opportunity to transform into someone better than who we are. Furthermore, failure simply means we are trying something new which very few people have the courage to do and as simply put by someone “I have not failed, I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.
2. Appreciate yourself - At the end of your long day close your eyes for 2 minutes and think about the good things you did, It can be how you made someone laugh, sharing your lunch with a colleague, helping a poor person or being there for your friends and family when they need you. This exercise will give a unique value to each day of your help and the self- appreciation will instantly improve your mood.
3. Doing the right thing - Whenever we have to take a decision whether small or big, deep inside in our conscience we know - what’s right and what's wrong. Focus on doing the right thing every day can be done by obeying the traffic rules, respecting women and being selfless in your relationships. By making correct decisions you let your soul free from all the negativity and guilt that sometimes wears us down.
4. Don’t compare yourself to others - Each one of us has different lives and different challenges to face every day. Introspect upon yourself and find ways to improve yourself each day. If you have to compare, compare yourself from the person you were yesterday and try to become better today both in your professional and personal life. This practice will give you more satisfaction than comparing yourself to others.
5. Be your best friend - Listen to your inner self and be honest towards yourself, be accountable for the actions you take. Talk to yourself and exert the negative thoughts and feeling occurring inside you. Self-introspection is the key to being your best friends and in making yourself a better person.
Try these 5 steps out and see your life change for the better.