Do you often complain your Dentist or Physician regarding your mouth ulcers? If yes, then this article is for you. Mouth ulcers are very irritating.They cause difficulty in drinking tea, coffee, eating your meals and at times speaking. Today, let us discuss about the most common mouth ulcers called Aphthous ulcers or canker sores.
Causes of Aphthous ulcers
Although the actual cause of these ulcers is still unknown, the following are associated with them.
- Stress– We have seen that many students suffer from mouth ulcers during exam time. Also many adults suffer from ulcers when they are tensed for many days.
- Insufficient Sleep – People who do not take a good sound sleep do suffer from mouth ulcers.
- Stomach and Intestine diseases – People suffering from constipation or some gastrointestinal diseases also suffer from mouth ulcers.
- Vitamin B and Folic acid deficiency – Improper diet which is mainly due to overeating of fast foods and not having a good diet rich in green leafy vegetables often lead to deficiency of essential vitamins and minerals indirectly causing mouth ulcers.
- Trauma and food allergy – Injury due to tooth brushing or any hot foods and beverages can cause these ulcers. Also, some people have allergies to certain foods which often cause mouth ulcers.
How to manage these ulcers ?
These ulcers remain in mouth for about 7 to 10 days irrespective of any treatment. They heal by themselves. However, the following remedies will help you to heal them a bit faster.
- Apply honey, catechu or glycerin over the ulcers 5 to 6 times a day.
- If the burning sensation over the ulcers is more, then apply any ulcer gels available in the medical stores. These are over the counter available gels and will get you relief for some hours.
- Reduce Stress – A 30 minute walk, exercise, meditation or yoga help to reduce stress and will boost up your immune system.
- Take a good night sleep.
- Take healthy nutritious diet.
Is there any thing serious ?
- If these ulcers heal by themselves but recur every month or more often, then a definitive treatment is necessary.
- If your ulcers do not heal in 15 days, then it might be a manifestation of an underlying disease which has to be taken care of.
In any of the above condition, visit your dentist or an Oral Medicine specialist at the earliest and take a definitive treatment.
To conclude, do not let any disease disturb you. Always take a medical advice and kick off your disease. Stay healthy, stay blessed!