1. Lying Full Body Stretch
Do you find it difficult to get out of bed in the morning because you feel less than fully recharged? This is an excellent stretch to do while lying in bed to get yourself going by waking up your muscles and stimulating your mind.
- Lying Full Body Stretch: Lying flat on your back with your legs together, keep your left arm at your side and reach overhead with your right arm. Push down through your left heel to feel a stretch through your whole body.
- Next, return your right arm to the start position and repeat the stretch with your left arm overhead. Press down through your right heel.
- To complete the series, reach as high overhead as you can with both arms and push as far as you can with both heels until you feel a complete stretch
2. Stability Ball Reach
Limited mobility in your shoulders can lead to even further limitations throughout your back. This movement activates both shoulder and back muscles to improve flexibility in both areas.
- Start in a kneeling position with your hands close together on top of the ball and your elbows slightly bent. Keep your core tight and your back flat throughout the movement.
- Move your upper body forward slowly to roll the ball out in front of you until you feel a stretch in your upper torso and core. Keep your elbows in contact with the ball for support. Return to the start position by rolling back and shifting your hips back to your heels.
- Activate the core muscle to keep your back from arching
- Use a towel or mat to ease pressure on the knees
3. Knee Crossover
Tight hamstrings are often the cause of low back pain. This movement stretches the muscles in the back of the thigh, the buttocks, and the lower back. It helps loosen the hips for improved mobility in the lower back. This stretch makes such tasks easier by giving you more mobility in your lower back.
- Start by lying flat on your back with your right arm extended out to the side. Bend your right knee and bring the thigh up to your chest with the assistance of the left arm.
- Keeping your shoulders flat on the floor, lower your right leg across your body toward the floor. Turn your head to the right and hold the stretch in a comfortable position for 15 seconds. Repeat on the opposite side.