Like many people you probably have a deep emotional connect with your home. It is a place to relax, after long hours at the work. That is why it is important that this place is not only comfortable, but safe to live in.
If you are suffering from Asthma, there is nothing worse than aggravating your condition simply by stepping inside your front door. This is why it is essential to ensure your home is Asthma-proof.
With the 10 tips found below, you can make your home safe and Allergy free:
1. Clean your pillow and mattress regularly - More than 50 percent Asthmatics experiencing symptoms occur from exposure to Dust Mites. Dust mite particles are often found in pillows, mattresses, carpeting and upholstered furniture. Cover your mattress and pillow with dust mite proof case, wash your bed sheets alternate day in hot water.
2. No Smoking in the house- With second hand smoke containing Tar,Carbon mono oxide,nicotine and other harmful chemicals;it does not matter who smokes,everyone suffers. So take it out side the house.
3. Choose the correct flooring- Chose the hard flooring as regular carpets trap dust and allergens.Daily wet mopping help to reduce the exposure to common Allergens.
4. Avoid upholstered Furniture- Animal dander and dust mites can get into the furniture and trigger attacks.Avoid upholstered furniture and opt for wood, vinyl, plastic and leather. Dust regularly.
5. Keep your house dry- Moisture leads to growth of mold (fungus); open windows while cooking and use exhaust fan. Keep an eye on laundry and make sure that you move wet laundry immediately. Keep the plants outside. Use a dehumidifier.
6. Keep an eye on your ceiling- Mold grows on damp surfaces for ex. ceiling and walls of your bathroom. Make sure that you clean and dry all wet surfaces including ceilings.
7. Check your pipes- Go through your house and fix any leaking plumbing that could lead to mold on surfaces. If your walls have molds you have to replace it.
8. Put away, always- Keep your kitchen neat and tidy. Wash dishes regularly; do not leave dirty dishes overnight in the sink as it not only promotes the growth of molds, but attracts cockroaches as well.
9. Keep the pet outside- Animal dander from skin and saliva can have bad effect on asthma sufferer. If pet is indoor,vacuum everyday
10. Regular pest control- Measures should be taken to keep the cockroach population under control