Patellar Subluxation

I have patellar subluxation. It dislocates and comes back to position but gives pain at that moment and I fall down due to instability. I come back to normal within 3-5mins. No pain. What should I do to fully recover from this? Should I start doing Physio exercises? (I am not in a situation to do surgery if its needed)

Pankaj Agrawal
Orthopedist of Superior Extremity 15 yrs exp Mumbai

Hi dear.recurrent patell dislocation will lead to condylar dystrophy and cartilage damage.if it is only subluxation then physio can help.otherwise you hv to undergo thorough assessment .may require surgery.negligence will lead to severe chondromalcaia..wishing you an early and complete recovery.regards dr pankaj agrawal .shoulder knee and joints recondtrution surgeon ahmedabad...
Dr. Venu Madhav
Orthopedic Surgeon 6 yrs exp Bangalore

Yes start physio n even after physiotherapy if you still continue to have patella dislocation then consult Ortho surgeon
Dr. Deepak Rehlan
Physiotherapist 13 yrs exp Delhi

Yes you should definitely consult the nearby Physiotherapist for the exercises
Dr. Anuradha Sharma (PT)
Clinical Physiotherapist 9 yrs exp Noida

Quadriceps exercises
Dr. Vishwas Virmani (PT)
Physiotherapist 20 yrs exp Noida

Avoid sitting Cross legged. Avoid Squatting- Quadriceps Exercises- Lie straight, make a towel role and put it under the knee, press the keen against the role, hold it for 20 secs. Repeat 20 times twice a day. This will help relieve some pain. Core Strengthening Exercise- Straight Leg Raised With Toes Turned Outward, repeat 10 times, twice a day. Hams Stretching- lie straight, take the leg up, pull the feet towards yourself, with a elastic tube or normal belt. repeat 10 times, twice a day. Sports Taping- stretch the tape from both ends and apply on the affected area Contrast Fomentation (Hot and Cold).
Dr. J. P. Singh
Orthopedist 13 yrs exp Delhi

Patella subluxation is due to weak or torn ligaments that stabilize it. Common type is lateral subluxation due to problems with medial patello femoral ligament. Since you fall due to instability, I will suggest it is likely that you will need repair or reconstruction of ligaments. Physiotherapy alone is less likely to help
Dr. S Devarajan (PT)
Clinical Physiotherapist 21 yrs exp Mumbai

Please consult a Physiotherapist in your neighbourhood, who will be able to assess if you have tightness of the Iliotibial band/ Lateral retinaculum and weakness of the Vastus medialis muscle. If so, remedial exercises can be demonstrated which you need to do regularly. Kinesiology Taping will help in protecting the Patellar from subluxation.
Dr. Anil Kumar Nalla (PT)
Physiotherapist 10 yrs exp Karimnagar
Your condition recurrent subluxation of patella may be due to weak quadriceps muscles. and also may be due to tight structure like hamstrings Iliotibial band, tensor fascia lata outer patellar connections. these may leads to maltracking of patella which further leads to subluxation. another condition HYPERMOBILE JOINT SYNDROME (HMJS) in which joints are more flexible than the normal may also lead to subluxation. you should also check for flat foot or knee deformities like knock knees.
your limb should be corrected from foot to hip joint to avoid recurrance. TAPING TO PATELLA AND STRENGTHENING OF QUADRICEPS MUSCLES .and also stretching programme for the tight structures. consult a MUSCULO SKELETAL PHYSIOTHERAPIST
AVOID SQUATTING ON THE FLOOR .AVOID CROSS LEG SITTING. DESCEND THE STAIRS WITH THE BAD LIMB DOWN FIRST. USE WESTERN TOILET.
Dr. Umesh Solanki (PT)
Clinical Physiotherapist 6 yrs exp Delhi
You should see a physiotherapist he would assess your muscle and find out the reason behind this problem. Because you need the cause to be addressed to address the problem. You can also get kinesio taping and adductor strengthening to provide stability to the patella.