I have TMD

I have difficulty in chewing and opening my mouth to make a big bite. Tic-tac sounds comes whenever I try to make a big bite. I can hear the sound while chewing. Also, when speaking for a little longer time i feel pain in the muscles near my cheek. I got my teeth x-ray (attached) and found that my teeth are not alligned properly and I have 4 wisdom tooth. Is the TMD problem sue to this? I haven't taken any treatment for TMD yet. Please suggest me what to do? I am suffering from this problem from past 4 - 5 months. I took some muscle relaxant tablet (Flexon MR) but still the problem is there.
views-icons 102 Views bookmarks-icon 2 Bookmarks Bookmark this Answer

Doctor Answers (11) on I have TMD

Hi..based on x ray and your symptoms, you need teeth alignment procedure to solve TMJ disorder.

Regards

Hi Clicking sounds In TMJ is usually disc derangement . Unfortunately not much can be done about it. You should take a few precautions like -avoid opening mouth too wide during eating , yawning - avoid clenching your teeth unnecessarily - use muscle relaxants when necessary You can do hot and cold fermentation in that area as well. Get your teeth aligned and get rid of third molars Regards
Dr. Puja Bansal Pune | Dentist
hi! TMD could not be because of mal-aligned tooth or wisdom tooth. it can be because of stress or heriditary problem. try to relax. take warm bath before sleep or do hot compresses near your ear and consult a dentist for a night guard. this will give you relief.
Hi you can go for removal of all the wisdom teeth and then go ahead with orthodontic treatment for teeth alignment and better forces and function of jaws. .nightguard appliance can be worn till then for a temporary relief .. rest a clinical examination is a must to check the severity. .hope this would guide you
Dr. Kshitiz Rohilla Faridabad | Oral Pathologist
Was your TMD diagnosed based on this x-ray???? because an opg is not the X Ray of choice to diagnose that..... rather you would required tmj view in open and close positions for the diagnosis..... nonetheless, extraction of the offending third molars will also be recommended without delay..... you might require a soft splint 2 cushion the forces that are being borne by the tmj......
Hi. as per the history given by you. its internal disc derangement.
You need following treatment plan:
1. Muscle relaxant
2. Hot pack application of affected side
3. Jaw exercises.
4. soft splint for 6 weeks to allow healing of disc
5. extraction of all wisdoms.

Regards
Sunshine Dental Care

Dr. Pranay Bangalore | Dentist
Well good morning madam...
I don't know how your tmd got diagnosed...but an OPG is never ever a diagnostic criteria for tmj diagnosis...
We require tmj xray open and close mouth views of tmj joints...on a larger scale an MRi
But first of all your needs to taken into consideration and relived a bit..and further follow ups with tens therapy will solve the issue all others also being followed... Had patients who used to cry because of pain...but thankfully they were well treated..
1st off all get your impacted third molar removed . And then consult an orthodontist preferably.
Hello, Mam,we usually tackle the TMJ issue at various levels.Depending on whether the problem is with the hard or soft tissues that is attached to the meniscus/disc. Generally we prefer the non-invasive treatment modality but if the problem persists we get into the next stage of treatment. You definitely need to get the wisdom teeth removed.Rehgards,Dr Suman Makam,Dental Arts,Jayanagar,Bangalore
Your Problem is TMJ problem. First and foremost step is to get your Wisdom teeth(3rd molars) removed which seems to be impacted. Next you have to take a TMJ tomography with which we can access the exact problem in your TM joint. Then a TMJ deprogramming splint can be given which has to be worn for about 6 months. This will solve your problems(Pain and the sounds you hear)
Visit a dentist preferably an Orthodontist
Do not open your mouth wide
You need to visit an orthodontist.You will require a TMJ splint