A number of organizations across the globe are advising their employees to work from home as a precautionary measure to curb the spread of new Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). To stop the COVID-19 infection from spreading rapidly, working from home (for all those who can) is currently the best solution adopted in various parts of the world.
Working from home definitely reduces the need and stress to step out and travel to work, but at the same time, it brings added responsibility to make sure that work is being taken care of without fail, even remotely. While it is important to ensure that productivity and delivery do not get hampered, it is equally important for each of us to stay healthy, both mentally and physically.
Here are a few quick tips on how one can stay active and reduce boredom and fatigue that a prolonged period of work from home brings along with it.
1. Don’t miss exercise
- Start your day with 20-30 mins of yoga, jogging or exercise
- Exercising will make you feel fit, energetic and ready for work
- Practising deep breathing during times of excessive stress is helpful
2. Look good, feel good
- Take a shower, brush your hair and put on comfortable clothes
- Getting dressed will make you happy and positive
- You will be ready to take on video calls or meetings confidently
3. Work, but plan first
- Create a schedule and stick to it
- Keep clearly defined working hours to reduce fatigue and stress
- Include breaks and 'me-time' in your work routine
4. Don’t forget to set up your workstation
- Choose a well-lit, well-ventilated and noise-free area of the house
- Ideally use a table and chair. Do not work on your bed or the couch
- Be aware of your posture to reduce muscle strain
5. Check your Carbs
- Consuming high carbs and sugary foods will cause a dip in energy levels
- Make sure to eat your meals loaded with fresh veggies and fruits on time
- Choose to munch on dry fruits, nuts, and other protein and fiber-rich foods
6. Breaks are necessary
- Make sure to take short walks around the house to improve blood circulation
- A quick 20-30 mins power nap once a day will rejuvenate your mind and body
- Break the monotony and indulge in something creative. Do some DIYs at home to keep
Remember, although work from home sounds fun, it brings its share of challenges. Your emotional and mental health is important. It is normal to feel stressed or lonely, but following the above tips will help you feel better and productive.