Including Barley in your daily diet plan is a great idea! Here's why:
1. Barley is a cereal that is high in soluble and insoluble fiber making. It is ideal for reducing the absorption of bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides. It improves gut health by helping in good bowel movements and reducing the toxins in the body. Thus making it very suitable for people with chronic constipation and indigestion. It also contributes to reducing the risk of colon cancers.
2. It is a rich source of Vitamins like B vitamins and essential amino acids which prevent tissue wear and tear, and minerals like Calcium, magnesium and selenium. In fact, barley contains 11 times more calcium than milk.
3. A must-have for the weight watchers as it is low fat, low sugar, low cholesterol, high fiber and high protein food. It increases metabolism and thus can help in weight loss.
4. Anti-inflammatory properties make it a good supplement for chronic inflammations like arthritis.
5. Absolutely a 10/10 for diabetics due to its low glycemic index property. It does not allow the blood sugar to spike in the blood. Because of its high calcium and magnesium content, it is known to reduce the onset of Type 2 Diabetes.
6. A good diuretic (increases urine output) and it's high content of fiber also makes it a good choice for kidney stones and gall bladder stones.
7. Improves Immunity against regular colds, flu as it contains a fiber that is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C.
So next time you make your grocery list, make sure you add Barley to it.