Seborrheic dermatitis is a typical skin condition that mostly affects on your scalp. It causes scaly patches, red skin and stubborn dandruff. Seborrheic dermatitis can also affect oily areas of the body, for example, the face, sides of the nose, eyebrows, ears, eyelids and chest.
Seborrheic dermatitis is also called dandruff, seborrheic skin inflammation and seborrheic psoriasis.
For infants, the condition is known as cradle cap and causes crusty, scaly patches on the scalp.
There are many risk factors which help in developing seborrheic dermatitis, such as
- Some neurologic and psychiatric conditions such as Parkinson's’ disease and depression
- Those people having low immunity or weak immune system, such as seen in organ transplant recipients and people with HIV/AIDS, alcoholic pancreatitis and some cancers
- Recovery from the stress full medical conditions, such as a heart attack
- Some medication
- Oily skin
- Using Hair and skin products contain alcohol
SYMPTOMS & CAUSES
This condition having symptoms like:
- Skin flakes (dandruff) on your scalp,hair,eyebrows,bread or mustache.
- Redness of the skin
- Patches of greasy skin covered with flakes white crust on the scalp, face, sides of the nose, eyebrows, ears, eyelids, chest, armpits, groin area or under the breast.
The exact cause of this condition is not known yet but it may be related to the condition which is given below
- A yeast ( fungus) called malassezia that is in the oil secretion on the skin.
- An irregular response of the immune system
OTHER CONDITION WHICH IS SIMILAR TO SEBORRHEIC DERMATITIS
- PSORIASIS- This condition also having red skin and dandruff with flakes and scales but in psoriasis usually having more scales, and they will silvery white.
- ATOPIC DERMATITIS- This skin reaction causes itchy, inflamed ,skin in the folds of the elbows, on the backs of the knees or on the front of the neck. It often recurs.
- TINEA VERSICOLOR-The rash of this condition appears on the trunk but usually isn’t red like seborrheic dermatitis.
- ROSACEA-This condition usually occurs on the face and has very little scaliness.
DIAGNOSIS & TREATMENT
DIAGNOSIS: This condition is diagnosis by physical examination of skin.
Biopsy, scrape off your skin cells for the diagnosis, to rule out the above condition.
- Treatment is depends on severity of the symptoms.
- The treatment of seborrheic dermatitis focus on loosening scale, reducing inflammation and swelling and curbing itch.
- In mild case -A topical antifungal cream or medicated shampoo( such as ketoconazole,selenium sulfide,coal tar,and zinc pyrithione) may be enough to control symptoms.
- In more severe case – you may receive the prescription for mild corticosteroids.
- Wash your skin regularly
- Always maintain skin hygiene
- Apply coconut oil
- Avoid styling products
- Avoid skin and hair products which contain alcohol
- Wear cotton clothes, also smooth textured clothes
- Avoid harsh soaps and detergents
- Avoid scratching whenever possible
Homeopathy medicines for seborrheic dermatitis are very useful some medicine are Kali sulphuricum, thuja, graphite, natrum mur, phosphorus,petroleum depending on the case and symptoms. Only constitutional approach can give permanent cure. But medicine depends on the presentation of the case and should never be taken without consulting a registered homoeopath.
DO’S & DON’TS
- Maintain hygiene
- Wear cotton loose clothe
- Use coconut oil
- Keep yourself
- Don’t use harsh soaps
- Don’t scratch
- Avoid friction