Water is one macronutrient, which is mostly neglected. It is important to understand that water is essential for health; it controls your body temperature and lubricates your joints. It also helps in transporting of nutrients to give you energy and keep you healthy. If you're not properly hydrated, your body can't perform at its optimum level. You may experience fatigue, muscle cramps, dizziness, or more severe symptoms.
SIGNIFICANCE OF WATER FOR SPORTS PERSON:
- One of the most important macronutrient during exercise
- Act as cooling agent to the body and regulates your body temperature
- Reduction of body water content as little as 2% can also reduce performance by 10%– 20%
- Helps in transporting nutrients and oxygen to cells
- Aiding in blood circulation
- Contributes to eliminate the byproducts of the body’s metabolismMoisturizing the skin
- Moistening mucous membranes
- Lubricating and cushioning joints
- Aiding digestion
- Protecting and cushioning vital organs
2-3 litres of water per day is recommended, however, for sportspersons, this may not be true. The amount of water you need depends on your current hydration level, the climate, duration, and intensity of exercise. For sports person, general thumb rule is to drink 50ml of water per kg of body weight for vigorous exercise. Offcourse you need to consider the loss of fluid during exercise.
Note: Water has zero calories.