Every day thousands of our skin cells die, flake off and are replaced by fresh new cells.
As we age, our skin may become dull and lifeless.
The skin colour may become darker, it may become patchy, and signs of ageing begin to appear.
Chemical Peels can provide a fresher, younger-looking skin.
Chemical Peel :
A chemical peel uses a solution which is applied to the skin to remove the dead skin cells and stimulate the production of new skin cells allowing a glowing, smoother, evenly coloured new skin.
Chemical Peels can dramatically change the look and feel of your skin face in a safe, natural and a positive way.
It is a treatment available to people of all ages; suitable for all skin types (light to dark skin) and can be performed on any part of the body,but is especially used for face, neck and hands.
- Benefits of Chemical peels :
- Chemical peels in Pimples (Acne):
Chemical peels can reduce the formation of new pimples, remove stubborn blackheads and whiteheads, remove pimple marks, regularize the oiliness,
- Chemical peels in Pigmentation:
Chemical peels can reduce freckles, sun spots, age spots, liver spots, blemishes, brown blotches, melasma (dark patches due to pregnancy); lighten dark underarms, under-eye circles.
- Chemical peels as Anti-Ageing agents:
You can take a few years of your face; with the reduction of fine lines, sun damage, and dull, weathered skin.
It can truly re-texturize the skin and restore the radiance and youthful appearance.
- Types of Chemical peel :
Chemical peels are mainly of 2 types:
a. Mild or Superficial peels: done with Glycolic acid
b. Strong or Deep peel : TCA peel
- Number of Chemical peel sessions required : 6 – 12 sittings are required for best results,
The benefits will be seen after one treatment, but continued commitment will generally yield greater benefit.
- Interval between 2 sessions : 1 - 3 weeks.
- Side Effects : As the solution is non toxic it will not cause any harm to the skin and hence the procedure of chemical peeling is absolutely safe with no side effects.
Peels do not thin the skin. Repeated peels will generate more collagen and elastin ensuring that the skin will remain rejuvenated and in optimal condition.
- Steps in Chemical peel procedure :
1. Cleansing the skin to remove dirt and sebum
2. Application of peel solution (one might experience little warm to hot or tingling or stinging sensation)
3. Neutralization of the solution & removing excess solution
4. Applying products containing sun screen and skin lightening, skin repair properties
5. Chemical peel treatment (on face) sessions usually last about 25 – 45 minutes. A mild peel only tingles on application, or may be a little irritating, whereas a medium / deep peel burns for a few minutes on application.
If you have the following you may not be a suitable candidate for a peel:
1. Pregnant or lactating women (a microdermabrasion or lactic acid peel may be possible)
2. History of sun allergies
3. Keloid or hypertrophic scars / Facial warts / Cold sores or fever blisters / Hepatitis / HIV
4. Prior bad reaction to a peel
5. Radiation treatment for cancer / Surgery or cryosurgery, a month prior, to the area that is to be treated.
- Chemical peel will not cause skin sensitivity, however, since the dead cells on the surface of the skin are removed,
- the underlying exposed skin is tender.
- It is crucial to take precautions to avoid sun exposure to protect your skin as well as to achieve the desired effect of the peel.
- A stringent use of sunscreen before going out in the sun is advisable.
- Remember, there is no such thing as a quick fix. Continued treatment is normal in order to achieve the results you desire.