Under eye dark circles are a common appearance if you do not get the adequate hours of sleep or if you are subjected to stress over a prolonged period of time. However, if you notice the presence of under eye dark circles even after getting sufficient sleep, that might be a result of crater formation or swollen eyelids.
Causes of under eye dark circles:
1. Constant exposure to the sun: Which might lead to an over-secretion of melanin (the pigment responsible for skin colouration).
2. Excessive Rubbing of eyes: Dark circles might also occur if you randomly rub or scratch your eyes as an unconscious habit.
3. Allergy/Contact Dermatitis: Dark circles might also develop due to allergies or eczema (skin inflammation) or contact dermatitis (a condition wherein rashes develop accompanied by severe itching after coming in contact with a foreign substance).
4. Old Age: The gradual loosening of skin along with fats and collagen as you grow old can result in dark circles of reddish-blue hue.
5. Excessive consumption of tobacco and alcohol: these might also form dark circles under the eyes.
6. Nutritional deficiencies: Nutrients in our diet play a vital role in maintaining both the aesthetics and the functionality of our eyes and deficiency of some of these can surely cause under eye dark circles. Nutrients like vitamin B 12, K, E and iron deficiency are just few of them.
7. Hereditary factors
9. Lack of sleep
Home remedies for treating under eye dark circles
- Apply almond oil on your dark circles and leave it overnight
- Cut thick slices of cucumber, place them for 30 minutes on your eyes and then wash them thoroughly
- Apply juice of raw potato on your dark circles for 2 to 3 weeks
Under eye dark circles are not a serious medical condition and can be easily decreased or eliminated by following procedures:
- In order to eradicate dark circles, you can opt for a procedure which combines aqua jet, glycolic peel (which helps to shed the affected skin in the under-eye region and initiate the natural reduction of the dark circles), microcurrent (which keeps the affected region duly hydrated) and associated home ingredients to strengthen the skin around your eyes.
- To prevent dark circles, you can also opt for a procedure which revitalises the under-eye regions with the help of high platelet-containing plasma. The platelets help in the creation of collagen (the building block of the skin) that restores freshness of your skin. This procedure is completely safe as it is a natural one and does not come with any side effect.
In addition to the aforementioned procedures, you can also use a serum containing soy and rice peptides, yeast protein, hyaluronic acid, and extracts from seaweed.
If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an Ophthalmologist.