Summer has finally arrived and the temperature is rising and we are looking forward to longer and lazier days of summer. While summer may be of some relief from cold and chilly days, it may also bring along various health problems like dehydration, upset stomach, bacterial infections, heat stroke, etc.
Here are some healthy tips for summers:
- Stay well hydrated. Make sure you gulp down 10-12 glasses of water and ensure a well hydrated body.
- Include some summer veggies in your diet this summer e.g. cucumber, bottle gourd, brinjal and bitter gourd.
- Eat small frequent meals and lighter meals rather then heavy ones, especially at night. It takes longer for the stomach to digest food plus the hot weather does not allow you to load up on too many foods.
- Choose more body cooling foods and more hydrating foods that will help your keep going in this heat.E.g. watermelon, sesame, coconut water, cucumber, mint, fennel seeds, etc.
- Binge on lighter snack in summers, like nuts, seeds, fruits and veggies like (seasonal fruits and vegetables) mangoes, plums, tomatoes, berries, watermelon, oranges, celery, etc.
- Include lots of probiotics in your diet to keep your digestive system healthy during the summers. E.g. curd, lassi, buttermilk, etc.
- Protect your skin from sun. Wear loose, full-sleeved cotton and light colour clothes to protect the body from the sun and to aid evaporation of sweat. Wear a hat/ scarf/ cap and sunglasses to protect yourself from sun rays. And also apply sunscreen daily every 3 hourly.
- Exercise is important, but don't over exert yourself.
- Hygiene is the key to a healthy body. Always wash your hands before and after eating.
- Avoid caffeinated or carbonated beverages, alcoholic beverages, and those high in sugar.
- Avoid processed, fatty, sugary and junk food.
- Don't smoke.
Hope you have a great summer!