Summer is the perfect season to start learning swimming. Many kids and adults start swimming classes in the urban areas in summers. Swimming is an extremely good exercise & a great sport. However, it is important to consider your health and safety measures before one enrolls for swimming coaching.
As an ENT practitioner, I see many swimmers coming with complaints of ear pain, nose & throat infections etc. Some patients had ear perforation which remain unnoticed for long but due to water entry while swimming, pus forms leading to symptoms & complicating the condition.
Keep the following checklist in your mind:
1. Confirm appropriate standards of swimming pool
2. Medical examination before joining
3. No swimming in cold/cough/ear pain
4. Use of ear plugs while swimming
5. Seek medical attention at the earliest if you notice symptoms mentioned in point 3
6. Make sure you train under an expert only
It is advisable to get ENT examination before joining swimming.