Sugar , also nicknamed as "white poison" or "sweet poison" is one of the most damaging substances that you can ingest. And the terrifying thing about it is that it is available in abundance in our everyday diet. Most people view sugary foods as tasty, satisfying and irresistible treats. But in actual it can be described as toxic, addicting and deadly.
Here below are some of the ill effects of sugar caused in our body:
1. Excess sugar intake is strongly associated with weight gain/obesity, even in people who exercise regularly.
2. Sugar consumption is linked to cavities. Bacteria in your mouth feed on sugar and then produce enamel- destroying acid.
3. Too much sugar can inflame your liver and is associated with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
4. Too much sugar starts to create insulin resistance, which causes people to crave more food- especially sugar. This may contribute to diabetes.
5. Excessive sugar and fat consumption reduces performance in parts of the brain that deal with memory and cause memory loss and depression.
6. Sugar heavy, high glycemic diet can develop insulin resistance which can lead to ageing spots and excess facial hair growth, acne , blemishes and dark patches behind neck.
7. Consuming too much added sugar can raise blood pressure and increase chronic inflammation, both of which are pathological pathways to heart disease.