In case of hyperacidity, gastric acid secretion from glands of stomach increases. The excess amount of acid causes burning sensation in upper part of the abdomen. According to Ayurveda it is known as amlapitta. In Ayurveda the pitta dosha includes whole enzymatic, hormonal secretions and digestive juices of the body. In amlapitta, pitta dosha which is bitter increases and gets vitiated due to wrong dietary habits and life style. This vitiated pitta dosha becomes sour (amla) in taste, that’s why it is called amlapitta. Normally this pitta helps in digestion of food but in vitiated form it does not complete the digestive process and causes indigestion. This undigested food cause toxin formation.
Causes of Hyperacidity
1) Excessive physical and mental stress.
2) Pitta aggravating diet like spicy, salty and fried food.
3) Excessive intake of citrus fruits.
4) Excessive exposure to heat like wandering in sun heat.
5) Prolonged fasting.
6) Modern medicine considers H. Pylori infection as the most common cause of hyperacidity.
Symptoms of amlapitta
1) Burning sensation in chest is the cordial feature of amlapitta.
2) Sour eructation, bloating, abdomen distension especially after meals.
3) Indigestion of the taken meals.
Management of Amlapitta at Sukhayurveda
Hyperacidity starts when accumulated toxins begin to disrupt functions of digestive system. We at Sukhayurveda cure underlying root causes like indigestion, constipation, gastritis etc. and provide natural recommendations to remove and help prevent toxin accumulation from:
- a) Hard to digest food
- b) Poor digestion
- c) Poor elimination
- d) Mental and physical stress
Sukhayurveda detoxifying therapies for amlapitta include abhyangam full body massage, therapeutic purgation etc.
2) Proper Nutrition
As Amlapitta is the disease of digestive system, so, proper diet has a key role in its treatment. We at Sukhayurveda provide proper diet chart to the patients of amlapitta. Pitta pacifying food is recommended. Avoid curd, citrus fruits, tomatoes, excessive salt, tea, coffee, spices and favor foods that are easy-to-digest, nourishing, cleanse the physiology, strengthen digestion and balance your body’s inner intelligence. Sukhayurveda consultant advises:
- a) Proper use of spices and cooking oils
- b) Herbal preparations to improve digestion
- c) Proper spacing between breakfast, lunch and dinner
- d) Favoring foods which stimulate digestion
- e) Reducing consumption of foods that depress digestion
- f) Proper food combinations to avoid indigestion
- g) Non-dietary regiments to improve digestive strength including exercise, specific yoga asanas etc.
3) Ayurveda Herbs
We at Sukhayurveda also provide proper herbal formulations for hyperacidity and to cure its underlying cause also like constipation, indigestion, excessive stress, gastritis etc. Drugs which are pitta pacifying and improving digestion are used mainly. Amla, mulethi, Draksha, kshar, shankh, shukti are mainly used to cure hyperacidity.
4) Stress Management
Excessive mental and physical stress also is a causative factor for hyperacidity. We at Sukhayurveda also provide stress relieving programs. Our destress therapies include shirodhara, takradhara, ksheerdhara, aromatherapy, oil massage etc. Stress causes increased gastric acid secretions causing hyperacidity and it also interferes with digestive process causing indigestion. Enhancing body’s ability to recover from stress is an integral part of our approach to health and well-being.
5) Lifestyle and daily routine
One of the most important factors for maintaining proper health is to have a lifestyle that does not disturb body’s natural rhythms. Sukhayurveda consultant reviews daily routine and creates a daily schedule that will increase balance in physiology and aid in healing of the body. Avoid excess exposure to heat. Never lie down immediately after taking meals.
6) Strengthening the body’s Natural Healing and Self-Repair Mechanisms
We at Sukhayurveda not only aim to cure the disease but also to cure the underlying causative factors. We boost one’s inner power to fight with diseases naturally. The healing response is one of the most complex and coordinated activity within the human physiology and often cannot be strengthened significantly without a comprehensive natural approach.
Taking together all the Sukhayurveda programs described above, aim to create the ideal mental, physical and behavioral environment for healing.