“There is no greater risk than Matrimony, but there is nothing happier than a Happy Marriage”- Benjamin Disraeli
There are following warning signs of a problem marriage, the more characteristics that are true, the higher the potential for marriage problems.
- The Couple meets or marries shortly after a significant loss.
- The wish to distance from one’s family of origin is a factor in the marriage.
- The family backgrounds of each spouse are significantly different (religion, education, social class, ethnicity, the age of the partners.
- The spouses come from incompatible sibling constellations.
- The couple resides either extremely close to or at a great distance from either family of origin.
- The couple is dependent on either extended family financially, physically, or emotionally.
- The couple marries before age 20 or in the late ’30s.
- The couple marries after an acquaintanceship of fewer than 6 months or after more than 3 years of engagement.
- The wedding occurs without family or friends present.
- The wife becomes pregnant before marriage or within the first year of marriage.
- Either spouse has a poor relationship with siblings or parents.
- Either spouse considers his or her childhood or adolescence an unhappy time.
- Marital patterns in either extended family were unstable.