Seeds are nutritional powerhouses, a source of fiber, essential fatty acids, proteins, essential nutrients. Seeds are in small packages giving us huge benefits.
There is nothing which is freely available and does not carry any side effects, including Ayurvedic medicines sold over the counter.
Common seeds which are 'In ' are Flax seeds, Chia seeds, sunflower seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Hemp seeds(bhang), Jeera, Ajwain, Methi, Mustard and Black mustard.
Jeera (cumin seed):
- It has digestive properties and is given to women after delivery as it promotes lactation.
- Jal Jeera is a good Summer drink which is basically made of boiling jeera seeds in a litre of water.
- Excess of jeera is bad for women during periods & around Perimenopausal years as it leads to excessive bleeding.
- It Should be given in moderation if a person is on blood thinners.
- It is another nutrition powerhouse in a small packet. Soak a spoon in a glass of water for overnight & drink the water in morning on empty stomach. Vague abdominal pains, gastric problems, flatulence, colics in kids can be prevented.
- It promotes Lactation also.
- Too much of it can lead to excessive bleeding & we really Do Not Need to take Lots of this seed. Just a Spoon of it per day.
- They are good for every person suffering from cardiac disease(s), chronic constipation and general debility.
- We need just a spoon per day. Grind it and sprinkle it on soups, scrambled eggs, mix with the batter made for roti/besan spread etc.
- Benefits are -reduces bad cholesterol, prevents cancer, a rich source of antioxidants and help in weight loss due to high fiber content.
- Excess intake of flax seeds can lead to cramps in abdomen and diarrhoea.
Chia seeds, sunflower seeds, Bhang seeds: have their benefits too if taken in moderation.
- All of these seeds can be ground together, kept in a fridge for a week.
- 1 spoon of each seed will make about 7 types of seeds to be ground together.
- Use one spoon per day.
- A mixture of seeds which is ground together as dry seeds cannot be kept at room temperature as it catches Fungus.
Be cautious with all of above if taking blood thinners as medicines are also taken every day but a spoon a day is tolerated well