Regular exercises or physical activities keep our heart and lungs in good condition and help t,o reduce weight ; you & we; both will unanimously agree to that. But do you know it is highly beneficial for our skin too? Yeah, that's true. Exercise can make your skin glow, look young and healthy, but how? Let's get a broader picture;
1. Exercises increase the blood flow to your skin and helps in providing more oxygen and nutrients to the cells through out the body including the skin.
2. Increased blood flow also helps to remove the waste products and cellular debris out of the system (Flushed out).
3. Exercise reduces stress and in turn helps to improve those skin condition ( acne,psoriasis etc..) which are aggravated by stress.
4. Muscle tone is improved with exercise which in turn gives a fimer and overall better looking skin.
5. Exercise also promates blood circulation to the hair roots and scalpe, keeping them healthy .
6. Exercise increases collagen production which is a protein involved in giving support and suppleness to our skin
Are there any risks?
1. certain skin conditions can be worsened by physical activity , examples being rosacea, eczema and psoriasis. Rosacea isaggravated by increase in body temperature and the skin flushing. The salt from perspiration can causes flare -ups of eczema and psoriasis.
2.Ther is an increased risk of photosensitivity due to excessive sweating which may lead to sunburn and UV related skin damage when you do exercise in the sun. This may increase the risk of skin cancer.
3. Tight fitting clothes & perspiration may irritate the skin and produce acne (pimples) which is called acne mechanica.
But These are no valid reasons to stop exercise as the benfits outweigh any adverse effects it can cause. Besides , you could always go for some precautions ;
1.Exercise in a cool environment (air conditioned room) . If you get over heated ,apply cool compresses to the problem areas soon after the workout . If you have to work out outdoor , use sunscreens liberally and avoid exercising between 10 am-3pm.Also protect the skin by proper clothing & hat.
2.Apply moisturizers before workout to protect your skin from the ill effects of sweat . Dont' forget to apply them on the groin and underams.
3. Take shower after exercise, but excessive washing need to be avoided. After showering apply a soothing moisturizer to prevent skin irritation .
4. Wear loose fitting clothes which can absorb moisture.