Regular exercises or physical activities keep our heart and lungs in good condition and help to reduce weight, you & we; both will unanimously agree to that. But do you know it is highly beneficial for our skin too? Yeah, that's true. Exercise can make your skin glow, make you look young and healthy, but how? Let's get a broader picture!
1. Exercises increase the blood flow to your skin and helps in providing more oxygen and nutrients to the cells throughout the body including the skin.
2. Increased blood flow also helps to remove the waste products and cellular debris out of the system (Flushed out).
3. Exercise reduces stress and in turn helps to improve skin conditions like acne, psoriasis etc. which are aggravated by stress.
4. Muscle tone is improved with exercise which in turn gives a fimer and overall better looking skin.
5. Exercise also promotes blood circulation to the hair roots and scalp, keeping them healthy.
6. Exercise increases collagen production which is a protein involved in giving support and suppleness to our skin.
Are there any risks?
1. Certain skin conditions can be worsened by physical activity, for example - rosacea, eczema and psoriasis. Rosacea aggravated by increase in body temperature and the skin flushing. The salt from perspiration can causes flare -ups of eczema and psoriasis.
2. There is an increased risk of photosensitivity due to excessive sweating which may lead to sunburn and UV related skin damage when you do exercise in the sun. This may increase the risk of skin cancer.
3. Tight fitting clothes and perspiration may irritate the skin and produce acne (pimples) which is called acne mechanica.
But these are no valid reasons to stop exercise as the benefits outweigh any adverse effects it can cause. Besides , you could always go for some precautions:
1. Exercise in a cool environment (air conditioned room). If you get overheated, apply cool compresses to the problem areas soon after the workout. If you have to work out outdoor, use sunscreens liberally and avoid exercising between 10 am-3pm. Also protect the skin by proper clothing & hat.
2. Apply moisturisers before workout to protect your skin from the ill effects of sweat. Don't forget to apply them on the groin and underarms.
3. Take shower after exercise, but excessive washing needs to be avoided. After showering, apply a soothing moisturizer to prevent skin irritation.
4. Wear loose fitting clothes which can absorb moisture.