If your resolution is to take better care of yourself and get healthy, you will have a much better year if your resolution sticks.
Tips to help you get started:
- Be realistic. For instance, resolving to NEVER eat your favourite food again is setting you up to fail. Instead, strive for a goal that is attainable, such as avoiding it more often than you do now.
- Plan. Decide how you will deal with the temptation to skip that exercise class or have that piece of cake. This could include calling on a friend for help, practising positive thinking and self-talk, or reminding yourself how your “bad” will affect your goal.
- Instead of keeping your resolution a secret, do tell your friends and family members who will be there to support your resolve to change yourself for the better or improve your health.
- Reward yourself. It doesn't have to be high-calorie food. If you have been sticking to your promise to eat better, for example, reward yourself with new fitness clothing or by going to a movie with a friend.
- Most importantly to stay happy and healthy, you must stay fit and this requires integrating a healthy diet, regular exercise, and a positive attitude. Enter the New Year with the resolution to start start staying active therefore exercise daily, eat lots of fruits and vegetables for fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals requirement, eat healthy fats i.e. omega-3 like flax seeds, walnuts, olive oil etc, choose whole-grains instead of simple carbs, and choose low-fat dairy products and most importantly drink lots of water. Ditch most the unhealthy habits like drinking alcohol, smoking, eating junk, processed, sugary food.
- Stick to it. It won’t happen overnight so be persistent and patient!