New study shows that people who lose weight slowly and steadily are more likely to keep it off in the long run than those who opt for crash dieting.
There are many effects of crash dieting including-
- Short-term weight loss,
- Short-term dehydration,
- Short-term nutritional deprivation (which can lead to long-term problems),
- Risk of fainting or heart attack and long-term health complications.
- Crash diets can cause a drop in blood pressure and sodium depletion.
- Your mental ability is not at its sharpest making you rational with making decisions.
- Crash diet leads to shortages of potassium, magnesium and copper could be causing the arrhythmia in crash dieters.
- Crash dieting risks for the long-term include osteoporosis from calcium deficiencies, brain damage, liver and/or kidney failure, heart attack and stroke.
- Your immune system will weaken feeling tired and irritable
- Prevents you from getting important nutrients and vitamins that your body needs to work properly.
When someone loses a lot of weight, some part of that weight is always likely to be lean body mass (muscle and bone) rather than fat. Overall loss of lean body mass is associated with poor health, especially as we age.
What can be called as crash dieting?
Crash diets is that you very quickly lose energy which your body needs to perform day to day activities.
In fad diets, people (especially women) do not get sufficient calcium, causing weakness of the bones. This stage can further lead to osteoporosis. One of the biggest side effects of crash dieting is the aging process. The signs of aging like wrinkle, sagging skin and fine lines appear early.
You will surely have to say good bye to your hair if you take up crash diet. This type of diet lack the nutrients and vitamins necessary for healthy hair. You may observe hair loss after starting crash diet.
As we know body needs Vitamin C and B to produce dopamine and serotonin which control the moods. In their absence, one becomes irritable and have mood swings. It may also cause depression so our body needs right diet rather than crash diet.
Think about these horrible effects of crash dieting before it’s too late.