Marriage is the process by which two people make their relationship public, official,and permanent. It is the joining of two people in a bond that putatively lasts until death, but in practice is increasingly cut short by divorce. Over the course of a relationship that can last as many as seven or eight decades, a lot happens. Personalities change, bodies’ age, and romantic love waxes and wane.
And no marriage is free of conflict. What enables a couple to endure is how they handle that conflict.
When these conflict goes unresolved it triggers the feeling of anger or frustration resulting in depression. Depression in marriage is very common and remains untreated that creates further issues for whole family. In this circumstance it is very important to look for signs and symptoms of depression, be sure that it can be treated and then report it.
Some of the reasons for the causes of marital depression are as follows:
- Lack of emotional connection
- Difference over finance
- Rare engagement at home of spouse
- Inability to resolve conflict
- Controlling or abusive behaviour
These are few reasons that could be the reason for you to go in depression. Every individual is unique and has different thought process. Due to this difference we perceive and have different approaches towards same person, situation or thing. When depression goes untreated or ignored it has its effects on us as well as on the people associated with us and on the relationships.
Here are few negative effects that can be noticed.
- Irritability-spills of anger and frustrate on make the conversations sour and block the communication.
- Decreased physical activities. We don’t want to work and complete our daily chores. Spend too much time sleeping.
- Lower need for intimacy.
When we are in a particular situation we forget lot of things like, being happy,living, and breathing and most importantly we deserve that happiness. We are not born to live in dark pit forever, yes there was a time when we felt all this self-defeating emotions but for how long, not forever right.
Here are few things that we can start with.
- Start writing a diary. Tell diary how you are feeling,what all have happened, open your heart out to diary. Write it all.
- Connect with people who are close to you. Make sure that you meet people whom you feel understands you.
- Start simple. For example you can start with small walks or make a routine plan which you can follow. You can start with focusing on one small activity, as small as maybe drinking water or taking bath.
- Practice mindfulness. Praise yourself for things that you have done for yourself or for people around you.
- Sleep. Initially, it will be difficult but pamper yourself, connect with self and make self-understand how important it is to rest.
- Remember! How much you like doing that activity. Start doing it again. This time for yourself.
- Eat healthy. It is very important that these times you take proper food. Start with something you relish or if at all it seems,nothing is luring your taste buds then start with something light or salads.But, eat.
- Physical activity. It is very important that you get into physical activity like yoga, exercising, or maybe dance. Choose from wide range that makes you happy.
Remember! Anything that comes to you can be sorted you just have to know that you have the potential to deal with it or at times you just need to have a different perspective to fix it. You don’t have to do this alone, seek out for help if you finding it difficult. Together or own “let’s do it”. You deserve the happiness, all you have to do now is to go for it.