Rice With Legumes & Vegetables
Packed with whole grains and legumes with this healthy, easy wholesome meal that’s full of flavors, highly nutritious, and high in protein and fiber. This is my favorite lockdown meal that I made and I totally loved it! The legumes, rice, and vegetables are cooked together in one pot so that you save time and effort of cleaning various utensils.
- 1 cup rice (soaked in water for at least 4-5hrs)
- 1 cup Legumes (Laal chana, Chola/chickpea, Rajma/Kidney Beans) - I have taken equal proportion and soaked in water overnight
- 1/2 grated turmeric root/ kacha haldi
- 1 Bay Leaf1 whole red chili (add or less according to your taste)
- Chopped Capsicum, yellow and red bell peppers, Onions
- 1 clove garlic 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (Jeera) & Rai1-2 Green chilies (as per your taste)
- 1 cup boiled spinach Crushed black pepper, pink salt & Lemon
- 1/2 spoon Aam ka Achaar/ Mango Pickle (by adding homemade pickle you will get antioxidants, probiotics, vitamin B and various other benefits)
- 1 tbsp mustard oil (it has a high smoke point and high in omega 3)
I first cooked all my vegetables, cumin seeds, bay leaf, red chilli, and all other spices in the pot with mustard oil. After your vegetables are cooked properly, then add 2-3 cups of water and then add the soaked rice and legumes to it. Let it boil properly, after it has been boiled you can add spinach, lemon, and pickles as per your taste. I have tried to use all the natural spices that we generally have in our kitchens. Instead of using turmeric powder, I have used the turmeric root to get better flavor, instead of red chili powder I have used the whole chili.
This is an attempt to make a pure, wholesome, and nutritive meal. I enjoyed making it and it's delicious, hope you guys love it too!