WHAT IS LEARNING DISABILITY ?
Learning disabilities is a broad term which might look very different from one child to another.
One child may struggle with reading and spelling, while another loves books but can’t understand math.
Still another child may have difficulty understanding what others are saying or communicating out loud.
The problems are very different, but they are all learning disorder
NOW YOU ARE PROBABLY WONDERING WHAT CAUSES LEARNING DISABILITY
Not me nor the experts know what actually causes learning disabilities, however, some of the possible causes for Learning disabilities include;
- Heredity : Learning disabilities often run in the family
- Problems during pregnancy and birth : illness or injury during or before birth, usage of drug and alcohol while pregnant, low birth weight, lack of oxygen, premature or prolonged labour.
- Incidents after birth: head injuries, nutritional deprivation, exposure to toxic substance such as lead.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF LEARNING DISABILITY
It’s not always easy to identify learning disabilities. And because of all the wide variations, there is no single symptom or profile that you can look to as proof of a problem. However, some warning signs are more common than others at different ages. If you’re aware of what they are, you’ll be able to catch a learning disorder early
Preschool signs and symptoms of learning disabilities
- Problems pronouncing words
- Trouble finding the right word
- Difficulty rhyming
- Trouble learning the alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes, days of the week
- Difficulty following directions or learning routines
- Difficulty controlling crayons, pencils, and scissors or coloring within the lines
- Trouble with buttons, zippers, snaps, learning to tie shoes
Ages 5-9 signs and symptoms of learning disabilities
- Trouble learning the connection between letters and sounds
- Unable to blend sounds to make words
- Confuses basic words when reading
- Consistently misspells words and makes frequent reading errors
- Trouble learning basic math concepts
- Difficulty telling time and remembering sequences
- Slow to learn new skills
Ages 10-13 signs and symptoms of learning disabilities
- Difficulty with reading comprehension or math skills
- Trouble with open-ended test questions and word problems
- Dislikes reading and writing; avoids reading aloud
- Spells the same word differently in a single document
- Poor organizational skills (bedroom, homework, desk is messy and disorganized)
- Trouble following classroom discussions and expressing thoughts aloud
- Poor handwriting
The earlier detected…The better :)
Until next time….Love, prayers and good vibes!