Estrogen is a very important hormone which is present in both men and women. Many people are not aware that estrogen hormone is also present in men, but in smaller quantities compared to that of women. Women tend to have higher estrogen levels in them starting from menarche or menses to menopause. After menopause, levels of estrogen in the woman’s body declines.
Benefits of Estrogen on our body
There are many benefits of estrogen on our body, in both men and women. Estrogen plays a pivotal role in woman’s body. It is responsible for the development of proper secondary sexual characters in women.
Benefits of estrogen on female reproductive organs: Estrogen is responsible for the proper growth of the breast, increasing the size of the uterus. Estrogen plays a prominent role in the growth of the lining of the uterus called endometrium during the menstrual cycle. In addition to regulating female reproductive organs and breasts, estrogen also plays an important role in controlling other bodily functions. Estrogen makes a woman’s body look slender and attractive by preventing the formation of huge muscles like men and by helping to burn excessive fat in the body.
Benefits of estrogen on bones: Estrogen also promotes the growth of bones and makes them strong. It also reduces the levels of LDL cholesterol, increases HDL cholesterol levels and prevents the formation of atherosclerotic plaques, thereby protecting our heart very well.
Effects of estrogen on menopause: Low levels of estrogen in a woman’s body after menopause leads to many symptoms like mood changes, irritability, anxiety, vaginal dryness, brittleness of bones. Estrogen replacement or boosting the estrogen levels in these postmenopausal women helps to control the mood swings. It enhances vaginal lubrication and reduces painful sex or dyspareunia.In fact estrogen, topical creams are prescribed to treat a condition called atrophic vaginitis in postmenopausal women. Estrogen also ensures that the bones in these women don’t become brittle and prevents fractures.
Estrogen also plays an important role in regulating various bodily functions in men. People with sufficient estrogen levels are very strong both physically and mentally. They tend to look slim, have strong bones, and are also resistant to mood changes and fluctuations.
Tips to increase estrogen levels naturally
You have seen many benefits of estrogen on our body. Let us talk about some ways in which we can increase estrogen levels in the body:
1) Soy milk increases estrogen: Soymilk is a rich source of plant-derived estrogens or phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogen present in soymilk is called flavones. They quickly enhance the estrogen levels in our body. Soymilk is readily available in all supermarkets and stores. You also get flavored soy milk which is quite yummy. Just replace tea or coffee with soy milk. Make it a habit of drinking soy milk daily. Your estrogen levels will increase within a short span of time with soy milk. If soy milk is not available in your place, you can even try out Tofu or soybeans itself in your diet.
You can soak soybeans, then boil them and stir fry them. Add few onions, tomatoes, cilantro, lemon juice and pepper powder to it. Your delicious soybean salad is ready. It is highly nutritious and has high levels of estrogen in it too. You can also try to eat Tofu, which is a cheese like food substance made from soy milk. People can include Tofu in curries, gravies, in roti, parathas, etc.You can also try out other phytoestrogen-rich soy products like soy nuts, Tempeh, Miso soup, soy protein powder and soy sprouts. All these are very healthy and they increase estrogen levels naturally at the same time.
2) Flax seeds are called Aviselu in Telugu, Alsi in Hindi and linseed in English. They are also a rich source of phytoestrogens like lignans. They increase the levels of estrogen in your body very efficiently and get rid of all of your symptoms caused by estrogen deficiency. Just make a powder of flax seeds and store in an airtight bottle. Sprinkle it over your curries, gravies to make them more nutritious. You can also mix flax seeds powder in your rotis, juices, smoothies. The sky is the limit to your imagination. Just use flax seeds in all the possible ways and boost the levels of estrogen in your body.
3) Sesame seeds: These seeds are also rich in phytoestrogens like lignans, just like flax seeds. Sesame seeds increase the levels of estrogen in your body, make your bones strong, protect your heart health. They make you fit both physically and mentally. As sesame seeds are a powerhouse of nutrients, you should definitely incorporate them into your daily diet. In addition to sesame seeds, nuts like sunflower seeds, pistachios, chestnuts and walnuts are also rich in phytoestrogens and they increase estrogen levels naturally in our body.
4) Dry fruits and fresh fruits: Some dry fruits like prunes, apricots and dates are rich in phytoestrogens. In addition to dried fruits, fresh fruits like apples, pomegranate, plums, papaya and oranges are also rich in phytoestrogens. Apart from increasing your estrogen levels, these dry fruits, and fresh fruits contain many different vitamins and minerals. They are very enriching for your health. They boost your immunity, make you physically fit, make you very active and strong.
5) Legumes: Legumes or sprouts are a rich source of phytoestrogens. Soybeans, chickpeas, pinto beans and alfalfa sprouts are rich in phytoestrogens called coumestan. Certain legumes are rich in phytoestrogens called isoflavones and other’s are rich in lignans. All 3 phytoestrogens increase the estrogen levels naturally.Mung beans, mung bean sprouts, hummus are some other legumes which are very rich in phytoestrogens that increase estrogen levels naturally.
6) Vegetables: Yes, certain vegetables are rich in phytoestrogens too. They are Garlic, winter squash, green beans, olives and olive oil. You can easily include them in your diet to boost the phytoestrogen levels in your body.Garlic has been used in preparing traditional medicines in many civilizations from centuries. Garlic has many medicinal properties. It has antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory properties as well. You can use garlic in each and every food dish of yours. Just make same Ginger garlic paste and store it and use it daily while cooking. It is a simple way of incorporating such a lovely vegetable in your diet and increase estrogen levels naturally.