Getting enough sleep is essential for helping a person maintain optimal health and well-being. When it comes to their health, sleep is as vital as regular exercise and eating a balanced diet.
Why sleep is essential for health?
- Better productivity and concentration – better performance at School & Work
- Lowers weight gain risk – Reduces Stress & Cortisol production which can lead to weight gain
- Better calorie regulation - sleep patterns affect the hormones responsible for appetite.
- Greater athletic performance - body heals during sleep
- Lower risk of blood pressure & heart disease.
- More social and emotional intelligence.
- Preventing depression
- Lower inflammation
- Stronger immune system
- Improves memory & capability to Learn
Adults should sleep between 7 to 9 hours every day.
Tips for better sleep include:
- Establishing a regular relaxing bedtime routine
- Limit screen time and blue light before bed
- Go to bed and get up at the same time each day
- Avoiding stimulants such as caffeine and nicotine close to bedtime
- Avoid alcohol before bed. If at all you have to drink, moderation is the key
- Get exposure to natural daylight each day
- Limiting daytime naps to 30 minutes
- Exercising improves quality of sleep
How to create the best sleep environment?
- Mattress and pillows should be comfortable.
- The bedroom should be cool – between 20 to 24 C – for optimal sleep.
- Turn off the light from lamps, cell phone and TV screens
- Consider using blackout curtains, eye shades, ear plugs, "white noise" machines, humidifiers, fans and other devices that can make the bedroom more relaxing.