We humans today as a country and as a race are facing a grave threat from a microscopic virus, called the Covid -19. The coronavirus pandemic has brought the entire world to a standstill. We can no longer enjoy the lifestyle we enjoyed just a couple of months back.
The enforcement of a lockdown has more or less helped reduce the spread of infection if not prevent it entirely. But sooner or later, when this lockdown is lifted and when the work and life fabric limps back to so-called normalcy, we may come in contact with people who may be either suspected cases or carriers of the coronavirus infection. The susceptibility to contracting the infection will then be high.
Many unavoidable circumstances will make us move out of the safety of our homes once the lockdown is lifted. And in order to face this infection head-on, we need to power-up our own immune system.
A good immune system will surely help us counter any kind of infection, including the Covid-19. In case we are unfortunate to get infected, a good immune system will give us a milder form of infection and will help us self-heal.
Listed below are some immuno-boosting hacks which we need to follow on a daily basis
1) Personal Hygiene: Do follow a personal hygiene routine. Washing hands with soap after every outside contact, not touching your face too frequently, taking a bath after coming from the outdoors, keeping your footwear outside the house, using a mask at public places, avoiding crowded places and huge social gatherings are manageable guidelines. Doing hot water gargles and steam inhalation to keep your nasal passages and throat clear is also recommended.
2) Exercise: Have a daily routine of exercise. Exercise elevates your body temperature, boosts feel-good hormones and activates your vital organs like the heart and lungs. It also helps in the absorption and assimilation of vital nutrients by improving your digestive system.
3) Diet: Take a diet rich in fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables. Natural foods rich in vitamin C such as male, lemon, orange, tamarind, tomato, raw mango, guava, pineapple should be taken on a daily basis as Vit C is a natural immuno-booster. Spices such as turmeric, black pepper, ginger, garlic are good anti-virals and should, therefore, be used liberally in cooking. Avoiding outside food is also recommended.
4) Sleep: Follow a fixed sleep routine. Maintaining sleep hygiene activates your immune system. Good restful sleep reduces your stress levels, reduces inflammation in the body, and keeps your hormone levels in check. Thus, with a fit body, our immune system is better equipped to fight an outside invasion or rather infection.
5) AYUSH: Usage of certain alternative systems of medicine to boost your immunity. Ayurveda recommends Sanshamani Vati (main ingredient giloy/amruta), Chyawanprash as immunity boosters. A kadha (tea) prepared from tulsi(holy basil), black pepper, dry ginger, and cinnamon has been proven as preventive/immuno-boosting medicine in a trial of almost 6,000 suspected cases.
6) Stress-busters: Lastly the stress of developing an infection or the idea of self-quarantine can cause a lot of anxiety. The statistical data pertaining to the Covid-19 situation around the world can lead to depressive feelings. To keep a positive state of mind, yoga and meditation are really helpful. Staying connected with your loved ones and avoiding information overload are some ways of dealing with the on-going stress.
With a vaccine or a definite cure for the CoVid 19 infection still nowhere in sight, let us follow these simple guidelines in our daily lives to boost and gear-up our immune system.
Stay Safe, Stay Healthy!