PCOD or PCOS is a common reproductive endocrine disorder, affecting about 5% of the women of the society. It refers to ‘Polycystic Ovary Syndrome’. It is said that excessive amounts of androgen are produced by the ovaries. Androgen are actually the ‘male’ hormones such as testosterone. It is a common cause of infertility, irregularity in the menstrual cycle and hirsute. PCOD is characterized by chronic hyper-androgen ism and chronic an ovulation. A lot of my own friends are going through the same disorder and having a hard time facing it. Usually, development of multiple small cysts is observed in the ovaries of the female body and is referred to as PCOD. They occur because of the disruption in the normal menstrual cycle. But one can always find ways to get away from such ailment sand keep oneself fit and healthy. Here, I am suggesting you some easy ways to overcome the effects of PCOD.
I would suggest the following to keep certain things in mind:
- A regular check overweight is the necessity of the hour as it helps to reduce insulin and androgen levels and may restore ovulation.
- Consulting a doctor fora healthy weight-control programme will definitely help.
- Intake of carbohydrate sin the diet should be kept minimal or as suggested by dietitian as it is said that low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets might increase insulin levels. Opting for complex carbohydrates is suggested as it would raise the blood sugar levels much more slowly.
- Complex Carbs- whole wheat & their products, buckwheat, brown rice, quinoa and oats.
- Vegetables - Broccoli, carrot, french beans, tomato, spinach, pumpkin.
- Fruits - Apple & banana.
- Seeds - Seeds rotation play important role in PCOS [sunflower+ sesame & flax seeds + pumpkin seeds].
- Pulses & Legumes - Pinto beans, chickpeas, black beans, green peas.
- Avoid in PCOS - Oats, soya, milk and their products.
- Choose a sport or indulge oneself in some kind of exercise which would keep the body moving and in a way lead to balance the blood sugar levels and keep oneself fit. By participating in some physical activity, the body may prevent insulin resistance and help to keep the body weight in check and avoid developing diabetes.
- Losing weight naturally by low calorie diet with moderate exercise activities will help you stay away from medicines and hence will be pocket friendly as well.
PCOD’s treatment focuses on managing the individual concerns, such as infertility, hirsutism, acne or obesity. And if one plans to take a step towards overcoming this disorder by pursuing a healthy lifestyle then it will help building a much stronger army of women for a better tomorrow.